1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Caliper mounts on the rearward side of 68 front disc. see the attached pic of mine. On the rear I used the crown vic discs and one side mounts forward and one side rearward on the axle.

2011-01-08_18-43-55_194.jpg

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
letsroll, thanks for the confirmation.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I have reviewed the write up in the link and they are installing the kit with the calipers in the front. Since this is a custom aftermarket kit it is probably correct for their parts.

I got the PDF instructions on line and definitely need to install them on the front side as per this part:

3. Now mount the caliper to the caliper bracket by sliding it over the rotor. Be sure that the calipers are mounted toward the front
of the car and that the bleeder screw is pointing up! Connect the rubber brake hose to the caliper and then to the brake system.
(Repeat this process on the other side) Now bleed the entire system to remove all the air!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
ken68cat, the PDF instructions are different than that online article. That the online article shows a cast type bracket that bolts to the spindle, then another bracket that holds the caliper bolts to that cast looking piece. The PDF does not show the second bracket and has a different style caliper. The PDF shows a caliper with an external feed tube from one half the caliper to the other. Can you shoot some pics up if what your setup looks like?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post some pics tonight. Mine has the cast bracket to the spindle and the U shaped caliper bracket bolts to it. Mine are single piston. I am imagining the external feed tube in the pdf is the 4 piston type? I misplaced my instructions and thought the pictures on the site looked the same. I plan to reinstall using the bracket that puts it to the rear and bleeder up.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Mounting the calipers towards the front or the rear is depending on what type, brand etc discbrakes you have, and regardless of type, brand etc the bleeder valves is always mounted towards the top, or you will not get the air out when bleeding the brakes

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, I took it apart and tried to rotate the bracket and it hits the spindle arm, so it only fits forward. I used the caliper marked L on the right side and the bleeder and hose connection is up. Looks good to me. Do you see anything that would fail this way?
Thanks.
disc 002.jpg disc 003.jpg disc 004.jpg

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
ken68cat, they definitely have the wrong instructions listed for the DB1521PANS. Anyway your set up is correct with the calipers at the front if the vehicle. As others have said if the bleeders are upside down, you have them on the wrong side.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I just replaced my calipers and for two days was banging my head against the wall. The box was labled Right and Left. They looked almost identical to the ones I was replacing. Why cant I get a firm brake pad....there has to be air in the system! What the heck???? I switched the sides the caliprs were on (took the Right and moved it to Left, and Left and moved it to right). This placed the bleeder valve on the top of the caliper pointing straight back (not on the bottom pointing up), and what do you know.....no more air. Brakes worked. Ahhhh!!!

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was forced to ignore the stamped L & R on the calipers and go with bleeders up. The problem with my rears is the repro 15" style steel wheels dont fit over the caliper. I still need to grind more material off to see if it will work at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What kind of retro wheel are you using. Did you have any luck with grinding? Do you have any photos for what needs to taken off. Have you made it to installing the booster and lines yet?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did have luck grinding about 3/8" deep. Luclily they are very thick and hoping they are still structurally sound.
Here are the wheels I have: 15"x7"
http://www.specialtywheel.com/wheel-showcase/mercury/67-68-cougar-wheel.html
I already ran new lines, had the original booster rebuilt and new 4 wheel disc master cylinder installed. I still have the master/booster/brake pedal set up from the kit if you need one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Those are the same wheels I'm want. 15x7. Does the kit comes with new lines, or did you make your own? What did you use for a proportioning valve?
Have you finished the kit?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ran new lines before I got the kit. I plumbed the SSBC adjustable proportioning valve in place of the original.
I'll post a pic of what I had to do to the rear caliper this evening.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the updates! Do you have any photos of the lines that you made? Will the brake light switch work with the new changes? How much more do you have to go before your finished?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far I am not using the brake light warning switch. I used 68 mustang lines except for the master/valve which was fabricated, see pic. Also see the groove I ground in the rear caliper to make the 15" style steels clear, painted them black already. I painted the car and am installing weatherstrips, need glass in then trim/bumpers. Also need to restore the grille/taillights. How far along are you?
I brakelines 001.jpg caliper 002.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...Also see the groove I ground in the rear caliper to make the 15" style steels clear, painted them black already... View attachment 29124
Not to cause trouble or scare you but how much casting material is left in the caliper between the outside where you ground and the inside corner where the outboard brake pad butts up against? In other words what is the smallest cross section between the caliper inside corner (on the outboard side) and where you have ground?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll pull it off and measure this evening. It was on the corner of the caliper but inside it makes a 90 degree, I am guessing the inside corner will be the thinnest. I did what it took to make it clear knowing that going back to drums is still not out of the question.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm finishing some repairs to my wifes 96 camry. After that I will be able to start on my vert brake swap. I'm letting you be the gennie pig on the coversion kit. Watching to get the pointers on the swap. Like your valve, what part# and where you got the rear studs. How much was the proportion valve and the mustang lines.
My vert I want to get the brakes done, then do general tune up stuff. Clean the carb out. Install a Pertronix kit. My plan is to drive the car for a bit and find out what it needs and plan what needs to be done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts