Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question fellas, do I have to change the pedal according power or manual brakes or is it changed because its going from drum to disc? I currently have a power booster pedal assembly and I'm curious to if I have to change anything involving my pedals.
I'm asking because I'm on the cusp of wrapping up the last parts before I make the swap

1. Spindles dust shield
2. Calipers
3. Brake hoses
4. Rotors and bearings
5. Proportioning valve
6. Disc/Drum Master Cylinder
7. Bendix Pads
8. Tie Rods

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm assuming your speaking about a 67. If so, you do need a power brake pedal but it will mount to the existing hanger. Also, on a 67 there is a little cigar shaped valve that usually hangs just in front of the rear end which I beleive is only on a 67 disc drum setup. Dont hold me to that but I think thats the case. One last thing, if your changeing stock parts from manual to power you may also need to raise and open the fire wall holes for the booster to get the booster and master to set level.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the proportioning valve is located under the car behind the d/s rear seat---new ones are not avail to my knowledge but any aftermarket adjustable ptop valve will do---you'll also need a stop light switch for a power disc brake setup---wilwood makes a neet adj prop valve with a stop light switch built in--if your not worring about origionality , might be the way to go--could be mounted right under you combo valve
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Power drum and power disc brake pedals are the same. Same booster.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks guys, I'm going to put together a step by step set of instructions on the site while I'm doing the swap. I can't seem to find one on here so I'll just fill in.

@ Doctor Desoto isn't this the proportioning valve? (see pic) is there a specific reason for the adjustable proportioning valve?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ah I see, thats why its good to do research and ask questions before embarking on a major system like brakes. Mustang Steve says the distribution block is the proportioning valve see it here...http://www.mustangsteve.com/granadadiscs.html thats why I asked because i've heard about the adjustable prop valve before but didnt hear it mentioned on his website.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Beginning in 1970, Ford incorporated the proportioning valve into the distribution block which is why it's referenced that way on the site you linked to. In 1967, they were two separate pieces. If using a post-1969 distribution block, you shouldn't need the independent proportioning valve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The proportioning valve is used on disc drum set ups, since disc pads ride lightly on the rotor the is almost 0 distance to overcome, they start stopping soon as you touch the brake pedal. The rear drum brakes sit away from the drum and have to overcome the return springs and move a greater distance to apply, the proportioning valve holds off the front discs till you get about 4 or 5 pounds on pressure, this will make sure the rear brakes star to apply first so the back of the car won't swing around on hard stops. I used a 71-73 cougar proportioning valve on my 67, works good. I also used front hoses for a 71-73 they even come with mounting bracket. Don't forget some 3/16 brake line and a flaring tool, and brake fluid. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts