Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question concerns the differences between the hub/rotor sizes in the brake discs for 69-70/73 models. Am I correct that the front spindles changed from'70 on?
In 2005 I purchased a '67 Mustang that originally came with non power assist drums, and the importer I bought it from offered to fit front discs from a post 67 (71-2?) Australian Falcon. The trouble is that he does not remember now the model from which they came. Since I will soon be needing to buy new rotors, I was wondering the best way to identify them, given that there were a lot of common fitments between Australian and American brakes. Can anyone help with dimensions or in another way? I do not want to order the wrong parts. Don's prices are very cheap but USPS ain't! The calipers are different to my '69 Cougar- They have a smoother shape- not that I expect that to help!
Thanks in advance!

Peter Lynn

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
So, you are swapping to a disc brake set up for the 67 Mustang, is that right? And you need new rotors for the US made Ford parts? I'm just trying to make sure I understand the question..I believe the disc brake rotors are same from 67-70. Do you have a dial caliper? If you take apart the front brake down to the spindle, you can measure the diameter of where the grease seal sits, I believe that is the difference. I'm in the middle of adding disc brakes to my 68. I had found the 68 spindles, and so was able to just build new brakes completely.
You may find a website like this helpful, to aid in your parts information gathering as well..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Timken-Wheel-Seal-Front/1967-Ford-Mustang/_/N-irjlpZ8oxmo?counter=0&itemIdentifier=12084_3214_4988_

Or, you may want to just get new spindles, and rebuild as necessary..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-1969-Mustang-Disc-Brake-OEM-spindles-calipers-rotors-hub-/180754612705?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a15d081e1

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My question concerns the differences between the hub/rotor sizes in the brake discs for 69-70/73 models. Am I correct that the front spindles changed from'70 on?...
Can't help with the rest, but the first statement above is correct, but only in the tie rod end hole size in the spindle. The rotors are the same 68-70 or at least 69/70.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Are you scratch building a disc brake conversion?

1968-69 use the same spindles. The 1970 spindles have a more substantial casting (pretty much the same specifications as 1969 Boss 302 spindles).

One word of caution on the Granada rotors, they have a larger hub size, this causes a problem if you have the stock wheels with smaller hubs.

Using 1970 or newer spindles requires changing the outer tie rods or installing bushings.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Woodsnake, Scott, and 69Vert,

Thank you for your replies. Just to clear things up, the Disc brakes are already on the car and were fitted when I bought it. I just want to buy new discs! :) I just want to know how I can identify the right ones to order. The hubs are around 1/2" more shallow than those on my '69 Cougar. I am sorry I cannot provide any more info than that- in other respects, the diameter and thickness of the discs are the same. It sounds as though you want me to pull the disc and measure the spindle apertures?
Your enternal patience is an inspiration.

Peter

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
What is the casting number off of the spindles? That may give a clue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Scott,
The only number on the spindle I can locate is

R (within a circle)
CN

Stamped on the inside of the upright.
Is this of any help?

Thanks for your trouble,

Peter
(PS Love your Cougar!)

·
Registered
204 Posts
The spindles and rotors are different between 1969 and 1970. The seals are the same, but the bearings and races are different between them. If you had original 2 piece hub and rotor assemblies, then yes the rotor portion would be the same.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The spindles and rotors are different between 1969 and 1970. The seals are the same, but the bearings and races are different between them. If you had original 2 piece hub and rotor assemblies, then yes the rotor portion would be the same.
I stand corrected, sorry about that. I thought they were the same, but after looking at parts sites a bit, looks like 68/69 are the same and 70-73 are the same (rotors).

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
One word of caution on the Granada rotors, they have a larger hub size, this causes a problem if you have the stock wheels with smaller hubs.
The outer surface of the hub can be machined so stock wheels can be mounted. Just have 1/8" taken off the OD of the rotor snout. I had this done when I had a set of Granada rotors surfaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts