Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Disc Brake Conversion With Factory Parts, What Do I Need?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Eliminator Kid 
#1 ·
So my dad had two cougars in the past that were parted out and they both had factory disc brakes. i need a list of what parts i will need to do the total conversion, if that is easy and not time consuming for anybody. the caliper and rotor and spindle are all still attached to eachother so thats pretty straight forwrad but what else is going to be needed, changing the pedal? different master cylinder? hoses?
By the way i have a 69 cougar with power drum brakes.

#2 ·
Bruce Habel did a very extensive "how to" article for TCCN on this very subject a while back. I have a hard copy but can't get my hands on it to post for you. You might find it on a google search, or perhaps someone can link you to it.

Off the top of my head, since you're starting with power drums, in addition to the parts you mentioned you'd need the prop valve and distr. block, then fab new hard lines from there to where you hook up to the soft lines. Not sure if the master is diff, but I think so.

#3 ·
Give Dr.Cougar on the forums here a call, http://www.cascadeclassics.com/ i got my disc conversion kit from him, fits very well, i got mine installed in just a few hours, very easy and straight forward job :)

#4 ·
Based on doing this on my 68......you have the basics....caliper rotor spindle hoses.......also the pedal, the brake light switch, master cylinder, proportioning valve (properly called the combination valve), some of the hard lines and power booster. Be prepared to cut a little on the fire wall. I also went from 68 to 69 and later brakes which required the later spindles, rotors/bearings and tie rod ends.....you are going 69 to 69, right?

May people forget the pedal (as I did) and find out you have nearly no brakes with the drum pedal and for some reason, the brake light switch spring is different though they look the same. On my 68, both sets of holes were there for either pedal.

Good luck!
Mike

#5 ·
I think your drum booster is the same but if you can, grab the disc one just in case (and as a good spare at the least).

#8 ·
You know, you got me there...I did go from manual to power and had to grab the pedal....

#10 ·
it would be great to get that article if you had it or could tell me where to get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.