Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this site and I am not finding what Im looking for. I know that there is a Granada swap but unfortunately, I cant find one around here. What other parts are compatable? How can I figure out which parts will interchange and which one wont? I have no problem going to a junk yard and scrounging for parts. IMO thats what building a "Hot Rod" is all about. Ive seen the kits out there and 1K is kinda hard to come by. They look nice but kinda expensive.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
There are slight differences between years and models, but generally compatible systems, aside from the aforementioned Granada/Monarch, include '68-'73 Mustang/Cougar, '68-'71 Torino/Montego and '72-'77 Maverick/Comet.
FWIW, the Maverick and Comet had a manual disc brake system available. I used a manual disc Maverick master cylinder when converting my '69. Made for a much simpler project, since the car's existing brake pedal is retained and all the issues associated with fitting a booster are eliminated. I'm entirely satisfied with the braking power and pedal feel. YMMV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used the power disc brake spindles, rotors, and calipers from a 70 Ford Fairlane for the conversion on my 67. I also had to use the LCAs and strut rods for a 68 - 73.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Andy, I had the same mindset as you on my 69 with manual drums. I decided to upgrade to power drums and very happy with the results. And if you want to take the lazy route like I did get the Scott Drake power booster that will bolt in without changing the brake pedal.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how good a shape the used units are from WCCC? Its not that the system has to be original, I just hate spending $1100 for a front brake system. I would love to put discs all the way around but that will probably be tooo expensive. I will also look at the Scott Drake unit. Maybe that will suffice. Its funny how much these Cougars grow on you!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts