Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case you can't remove a busted dipstick tube by pulling it and your only option (as mine was) is to drain and drop the pan. You can use a deepwell 3/16 socket, slide it up from below and tap it a few times with a small hammer. It pushes that puppy right up and outta there. Just thought I'd post that "discovery" as I just finished doing that.

Also, if the pan was anywhere near where you were, take a magnet and move it around in the pan to get any metal crumbles that might have fallen into the oilpan. Hope it helps someone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I busted mine off but there was a little bit showing above the lip. I put a tight fitting bolt in the tube and put some vis.-grips on it. It twisted right out.

On another engine there was a plug in the dipstick hole in the timing cover. I drove the plug into the pan and then fished it out with a mighty worm magnetic pick-up tool through the drain plug hole.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I like the removal upward or downward without removing the pan technique, hate removing the pan unless it is absolutely necessary. Good thread regardless.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Been there before - took a sheet metal screw that was about the right thickness and ran it down inside just enough to get a good hold on it and keep prying up on it until I could get it up high enough grab it with vice grips and pry against those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts