Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm at it... anyone else have dim dash lights here? My 73 XR7's lights are not as bright as I suppose they once were. Is it just time to give it a change of lamps? Is it possible that the rheostat in the switch is just tired?

Also, I read somewhere that Halogen Headlamp upgrades may require an addtion of a relay. Has anyone made this upgrade?
Ed:thinkuh:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you do a forum Search for Headlight Relay you will find more, but here is my reply to an earlier post:

If you have a wiring diagram it's easier to ID the right wires, but in a nutshell:
* Get 2 20A relays from Radio Shack
* Find the wire that feeds your low beams (best to do this up near radiator support)
* Cut wire and attach end from light switch to relay on the triggering post.
* run a ground wire from the relay for the trigger
* Run a hot lead from your battery (with 20-30A inline fuse or breaker) to one side of the relay switch.
* Connect the lead that you cut coming from the headlights to the other side of the relay's switch.
* Repeat using second relay on the high beam wire.

This way your light switch is only triggering the relay, not the entire headlight circuit. The hot lead from your battery supplies the power. The short length of original wire to the headlight can handle the load.

This is a really basic, simple description (not using tech terms) but you see what we're trying to accomplish here, right?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I did the relay conversion on mine. Very, very easy, and wow are my lights bright! Sometimes people flash me, when I don't even have the highs on. Then I flash them with the highs, to show them, I'm not driving around with my highbeams on.

And, as for your dim dash lights, got that problem too, and my buddies 69 Mach1 has that problem... I think it's just the way they are.

·
Registered
885 Posts
There is a voltage regulator on the back of your instrument cluster. I don't know if this regulates the voltage to the lights, one or more of the instruments, or both. Might be worth checking into.

Steve C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts