Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have been asking a lot of questions but here is another. When I placed the rear axle up on the saw horses I found I could hold the rear axle, didn't matter what side and turn the yoke? I could also hole the yoke and turn the axle? Only thing I did was letting the yoke face directly down towards the floor. What gives? In this case the car would roll even in park or when i put the car in drive it wouldn't move. I don't know anything about the way the differential is geared but isn't is direct? Not a clutch or anything back there right? Now before I started taking this car apart I did drive it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I bet if you hold BOTH axles you can't turn the yoke, its been so long since I played with one, but I think that's the way they work. So when you turn the corner one wheel doesn't have power, other wise it would slide or throw rocks from under the tread. That is if you have a standard rear gear set-up. IMO

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a stock rear end. Has a 2.75 ratio, 9 inch. That is all I Know about so far.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
? Not yet, I can't reach all three. As soon as I get someone around here that can give me an extra hand I will. Probably be tomorrow. Never thought about the limited slip thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts