Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on to the next little project on my Cougar. I got my carburator adjusted this past weekend and WOW. Smooth idle, pulls much stronger and my eyes don't water anymore from the running rich fuel smell. Now that that is done....

Starters: This is a 1969 XR7 vert, 390 4V 4 SPEED toploader. 9 in. rear and I believe 28 spline axel. (not sure how to tell if 31) 3.00 open rear. Cruiser :)

I want to change both the differential and manual gear box. I've heard that Lucas oil is good oil. NAPA by me does not have it. They have Valvoline.

1--Any ideas who might carry it or is there better oil to use?
2--Is the weight 80/90 for both?

Any and all bits of info are appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help and replies. Any little helpful hints or"tricks" to get the job done are also appreciated.

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Lucas is good oil, but personally I would not go out of my way for it, but that's just me. I used Pennzoil because that is what Walmart had in name brand. The only other thing I would say is be sure to get and use friction modifier additive if the rear is a traction lock (Ford posi). Weight is the same for both, think what I used was 85/90.

As for tricks, none that I know of. It is a messy job. Hard to drain the rear neatly and hard to add the trans oil neatly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lucas is good oil, but personally I would not go out of my way for it, but that's just me. I used Pennzoil because that is what Walmart had in name brand. The only other thing I would say is be sure to get and use friction modifier additive if the rear is a traction lock (Ford posi). Weight is the same for both, think what I used was 85/90.

As for tricks, none that I know of. It is a messy job. Hard to drain the rear neatly and hard to add the trans oil neatly.
Really Walmart?? I was just there last night getting some distilled H2O and a 50/50 mix of antifreeze to dilute my antifreeze. The rear is OPEN so the friction modifier should not be needed. I also need to get aa new gasket. NAPA is having trouble finding one of those too.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Weird, I don't know how "Walmart" got linked, I did not do that. Looks like something in the site SW is now doing this, very odd. Wonder what the back story on this is.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It's an annoying feature that sites are paid for I guess as a marketing gimmick. I'm sure the back story is all about the money.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
rear gears need a gl5 rating for pressure but gl5 does not work in early style because they have brass or bronze syncro rings---gl5 eats up brass and bronze----i would use a red line mtl (man trans lube ) up front a gl5 rated synthetic for the diff
doctordesoto

you can use a gl3 in both but only a gl3 can be used in m/t---later m/t use carbonfiber rings a i believe they can handle gl5

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info. Any feelings on the weight? There is 80/90 and 85/90, and even a few more. Same weight up front and in back?
rear gears need a gl5 rating for pressure but gl5 does not work in early style because they have brass or bronze syncro rings---gl5 eats up brass and bronze----i would use a red line mtl (man trans lube ) up front a gl5 rated synthetic for the diff
doctordesoto

you can use a gl3 in both but only a gl3 can be used in m/t---later m/t use carbonfiber rings a i believe they can handle gl5

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check out this gear lube test Amsoil paid for. Some brands suck. http://www.syntheticlubes.com/pdf/gearlubes.pdf
The test is several years old so some products may have improved? I use Mobil 1 gear lube in all my vehicles as its cheap, readily available and it looks good in the test. If money and time are in surplus Amsoil would be my choice for all lubricants. As doctordesoto said watch what you put in the trans. The PDF talks about this very problem. Several brands tested should not cause any damage, see the corrosion testing.

Bill

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great PDF on this topic. It talks about a many synthetic oils and a few petroleum oils. Is my feeling wrong that synthetic should NOT be used in my differential and my Manual Tranny? My goal is to replace these oils on this garage queen and make sure the levels are at the proper level. Her life is going to be rides on nice days as well as car shows.
Thank you
Check out this gear lube test Amsoil paid for. Some brands suck. http://www.syntheticlubes.com/pdf/gearlubes.pdf
The test is several years old so some products may have improved? I use Mobil 1 gear lube in all my vehicles as its cheap, readily available and it looks good in the test. If money and time are in surplus Amsoil would be my choice for all lubricants. As doctordesoto said watch what you put in the trans. The PDF talks about this very problem. Several brands tested should not cause any damage, see the corrosion testing.

Bill

·
Registered
223 Posts
Great PDF on this topic. It talks about a many synthetic oils and a few petroleum oils. Is my feeling wrong that synthetic should NOT be used in my differential and my Manual Tranny? My goal is to replace these oils on this garage queen and make sure the levels are at the proper level. Her life is going to be rides on nice days as well as car shows.
Thank you
The only reason not to use synthetic gear lube is cost. My 67 standard has had Mobil 1 in the diff since 10/5/1995. Synthetic lubricants perform so much better than regular petroleum lubricants the added cost is worth it IMO.

Bill

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you/ I just thought that mixing the two types of oil was a no no. Even though I plan on draining the old oil as best zi can, there is still going to be some left inside and I wasn't sure of they would have a negative effect somehow.
The only reason not to use synthetic gear lube is cost. My 67 standard has had Mobil 1 in the diff since 10/5/1995. Synthetic lubricants perform so much better than regular petroleum lubricants the added cost is worth it IMO.

Bill

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The only advice I have to offer is if your clothes get soaked in smelly old gear oil, don't throw them in the same basket as the rest of the laundry.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
How did you make out with that? Is the wife talking to you yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts