Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm putting a larger, aftermarket sway bar on the front end of my cougar, while I have the heads off and am rebuilding the front end. For some reason, the sway bar end link "sleeves" were of a different length from the stock bar coming off the car. I just have a bag of parts to sort through to reassemble with the larger new bar.

Is there any reason to think that from the factory, the sway bar end links that hold up the sway bar would be a different length? Or, should they both be the same on both sides?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i used energy suspension mount bushings w /zerk fitting and heated the ends of the bar so the link ends were in allignment with the a rm mount---seems to me i had to move the e/s mounts toward the rear of the car too-cut the spacers so that the sway bar is parallel to the ground @ installed heigth

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
My thought would be that the sway bar geometry (shape) may be such that the links need to be different. Like if the part that passes under the harmonic balancer/pulley could possibly hit over the suspension travel for instance. Of course, I dunno if that would mandate longer links or shorter but you get the idea...

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found all equal length new pieces to put on, but it seemed odd that the original pieces would be different..

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'd say one side was replaced by a PO as I have never seen sleeves of differing length on the same car. As a general rule you need to add or increase the size of the rear sway bar when increasing the size of the front sway bar. I have no personal experience with this but have seen this in print many times over the years.

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I'd say one side was replaced by a PO as I have never seen sleeves of differing length on the same car. As a general rule you need to add or increase the size of the rear sway bar when increasing the size of the front sway bar. I have no personal experience with this but have seen this in print many times over the years.

Bill
I thinking the same thing when I read the original post (different link lengths on same bar) but I think he meant the new bar links (both) were different than the original ones.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, the original ones were of a different length. The drivers side had a longer sleeve than the passenger side. I got all the parts organized, and put two new equal length links on, and they fit fine for the reinstall. Hopefully today, we will get the springs back in, and the disc brakes assembled..

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
No, the original ones were of a different length. The drivers side had a longer sleeve than the passenger side. I got all the parts organized, and put two new equal length links on, and they fit fine for the reinstall. Hopefully today, we will get the springs back in, and the disc brakes assembled..
Wow! Well, unless it was a circle track car, I'd say that was totally wrong! Probably a broken link that someone replaced with one of a different length not knowing any better.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have noticed that a lot of the replacement end links have different length spacers, the length of the bolt is usually the same, but if the spacer is shorter, the total length is made up with thicker bushings and the metal cup-washers. I have also noticed that the bolt is 3/8, where as the original is 3/8 down to the thread, and the thread is 5/16.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wow! Well, unless it was a circle track car, I'd say that was totally wrong! Probably a broken link that someone replaced with one of a different length not knowing any better.
Yup must have just replaced the broken one. I always replace both because if one broke the other usually soon follows. Besides its normally easier to replace bole at the same time anyway. On some cars it's near impossible to change just one side.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts