Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got mine about 15years ago. Granada swap already on it. Neede different wrenches to bleed front brakes. Functional but hacky. No bother.
Now I just put to brand new calipers on, same brand, STILL I need different wrench for left and right.
Sorta detecting purpose or pattern here....
Now I am really...really curious as to the why. Must b some reasoning behind it. Anybody that knows?

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Brand new or remanufactured? I have had that with remanufactured rear wheel cylinders.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, reman. But t bleed nipples cannot b other than new. They wouldnt b pulling those out of 1 bucket with different sizes i’d assume...

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I can not say for sure why, but I suspect the threads may have been bad on some of the cores. So they drill them up a size and tap it and use a bigger bleeder nipple. The last set of calipers I got had the same size bleeders installed on both. I bought brand new rear cylinders for that one. I should be doing my CJ Cougar next spring and will see what I end up with for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good plan. I havent chucked t old ones yet. I’ll take out nipples and see if they fit cross-wise. If not your theory gets another notch

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can not say for sure why, but I suspect the threads may have been bad on some of the cores. So they drill them up a size and tap it and use a bigger bleeder nipple. The last set of calipers I got had the same size bleeders installed on both. I bought brand new rear cylinders for that one. I should be doing my CJ Cougar next spring and will see what I end up with for it.
Bingo, this is why. During rebuild they often end up tapping them for larger bleeders if there is any hint if damaged threads. And yes it’s annoying when it comes time to bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Confirmed (x2), my used ones had different thread sizes. 100 points 4 Badcatt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts