1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know how much more a 351C is ?

·
11,000 Posts
If both have the original type cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds the 351C is about 100 pounds heavier. Install an aftermarket aluminum intake and there's about 60 pounds difference.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not to hijack a thread, but, what is the weight difference between the 302 and the 390? I do understand that the exhaust manifolds on a 390 will need to be changed to the GT one to fit? The car is a by vin 67 GT. Not sure if I just want to get the 302 a ring job, or put the 68 Galaxie 390 in it.

Thanks for your time and my intrusion.
Lloyd

·
11,000 Posts
There's no way to tell if it is a GT by the VIN. The VIN does tell you whether the car originally came with the 390GT ENGINE OPTION. The GT OPTION PACKAGE came with the 390engine, but you could also order the 390 ENGINE OPTION without the 390 GT PACKAGE.

A 390 is about the same weight as a Cleveland. The entire big block package would include a heavier transmission, rear axle, driveshaft and dual exhaust which would all add to the weight difference installed in the car.

Not to hijack a thread, but, what is the weight difference between the 302 and the 390? I do understand that the exhaust manifolds on a 390 will need to be changed to the GT one to fit? The car is a by vin 67 GT. Not sure if I just want to get the 302 a ring job, or put the 68 Galaxie 390 in it.

Thanks for your time and my intrusion.
Lloyd

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, what Royce siad, the 390 was the forerunner to the short lived 406 & then 428, Big Block, for now I would go with ringing 302, you can enjoy the car almost as much for a lot less money, research info like Marti & other documents that can be attained, that should tell you if it is GT. VIN on E-Cat wont tell you if it is Eliminator or not, my family did not know if it was real or not until they got a Marti report, I think they paid around $600 for it so I don't think it mattered at that price in 1979.

MY '72 Bronco has a 302w and has performed like a work horse since I rebuilt it in 1987, they are the best small block engines Ford ever made in my opinion, easy to work on, cheap for replacement parts etc. With that being said I have a have a D2AE-CA 351C-4 engine (possibly Boss or Cobra Jet) need to pull oil pan to see if its has 4 bolt mains to confirm, either way the massive torque they put out makes me curious enough to try it, I know the 351w is easier fit but that would just be like punching out 302.

I would re ring for now if you are sure that is all it needs, when you decide you want some more torque well then......

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
427 - 658 lbs
429 - 677 lbs
351W - 581 lbs
351C - 604 lbs
302 - 470 lbs

I think these are exclusive of add ons - AC/Smog/etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts