Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 78 Mercury Cougar XR7 that needs restoration. I also own a 79 Cougar XR7. They look the same. What is the difference? Somewhere in the back of my mind, it seems I remember the body length was shorter on the 79. Can anyone tell me what the differences in the 77, 78, and 79 Cougar XR7's. My body man wants to put a 78 body on either a 77 thunderbird or 79 cougar chasis. Does anyone know if these are interchangable?

Also, my 79 has an electric seat which is not working. What does it take to fix it? The heater blower motor is not working. Is there a connection. As you can probably tell, I am not much of a mechanic. Just know enough to make me dangerous.

Any help will be appreciated!

P.S. Does anyone in the midwest have a 78 Cougar XR7 Body in good shape for sale?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Those three years ought to be the same body-wise. Mechanically, Montego/Torino/LTDII from 1972 to 1979 and Cougar from 1974 to 1979 should be the same.

Blower motor not working might be caused by a blown fuse, bad blower motor or defective blower motor resistor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the only difference betw a 77-78 cougar and a 79 cougar is the taillights and the grille....the 79 cougar taillights did not have chrome trim around them and the 79 grille has a slightly different slat pattern.
as far as interchangability goes, frames are the same betw cougar ltd2 and t-bird
doors are the same 77-79, cougar xr7 has a unique trunklid the hood is the same as the t-bird (ltd2's and ranchero had eyebrows on the hood) you can even swap front clips from these cars.....i have seen cougar and t-bird nosed ranchero's.....the bumpers are the same, the cougar xr7 dash is the same back to 74 gauges, dashpad and all. if youre lucky you can find a cluster with a tach.
as far as the seat goes, you might have a blown fuse or a broken wire under the carpet....those are most common and the blower motor....check for power at the motor first, if no check at switch if it's good at switch, suspect the blower motor resistor

·
Registered
4 Posts
does anyone know where to get those parts. i have a 78 xr7 that needs parts. (front bumper, fiberglass nose piece that goes around the grill and over the head lights)

·
Registered
640 Posts
ICEMAN91 said:
does anyone know where to get those parts. i have a 78 xr7 that needs parts. (front bumper, fiberglass nose piece that goes around the grill and over the head lights)
Too bad your not in the metro Atlanta area. A while back, the local Pull a Part yard had about 5 or 6 '77 - '79 Cougars. They're all gone now (sent to the crusher I'm sure). Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Check here for parts:http://www.lincolnpartsinternational.com/

They used to have a list of 77-79 T-Bird/Cougar parts on their site but the link is a dead end. Call or e-mail them to see if they still have anything. Otherwise, check Hemmings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 78 Mercury Cougar XR7 that needs restoration. I also own a 79 Cougar XR7. They look the same. What is the difference? Somewhere in the back of my mind, it seems I remember the body length was shorter on the 79. Can anyone tell me what the differences in the 77, 78, and 79 Cougar XR7's. My body man wants to put a 78 body on either a 77 thunderbird or 79 cougar chasis. Does anyone know if these are interchangable?

Also, my 79 has an electric seat which is not working. What does it take to fix it? The heater blower motor is not working. Is there a connection. As you can probably tell, I am not much of a mechanic. Just know enough to make me dangerous.

P.S. Does anyone in the midwest have a 78 Cougar XR7 Body in good shape for sale?
Your seat might just have something jammed in it , or be too dirty to move. I would check for broken wire under carpet last .unless there's some reason it suddenly broke . check fuses.

·
Registered
2 Posts

The only difference is the 77 &78 has chrome around the taillights. The 79 taillights are a bit larger……only difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts