Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there are any other differences between a '69 & '70 front fender besides the marker lights and fender extensions? For example, will a fender extension from a '70 match up to '69 fenders? I own a '69 and have the oppurtunity to purchase parts from a '70 to turn my front end into a '70 'look' (sorry '69 lovers and purists). So I guess my real question is are the fender lines where the fender extensions meet the same on '69 and '70?
thanks in advance
chuck
'69 ragcat soon to be '70 ragcat clone?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 69 with a 70 hood and grille . The front fender extensions are not the same! I want to put mine back to a 69 I just don't have the extensions or the grille work . Also if you use a 70 hood on a 69 youll need the 70 hood springs because the 70 hood is heavy and will not stay up with 69 springs .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh I forgot the 70 ext will fit if you drill one small hole where it mounts because the 70 has a little locater pin on it that the 69 doesn' not a big deal.

·
Registered
329 Posts
About the 69 & 70

With all do respect to everyone the 69 should stay a 69 and a 70 should stay a 70. :D 70 XR7 ragtop

·
Registered
889 Posts
How Much For The Little Grill

How much do you want for the grill?Send me an E-mail.I live just south of Cleveland I;ll blow right down 77 and pick it up,as well as for any other 69 parts your willing to part with.Let me know. Thanks Dan

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steel-
No disrespect taken, I humbly respect your opinion, and I know there are others out there that share your sentiments. I personally love the pics I have seen of your XR7. It is truly a beautiful car. However, what you and anyone else have to understand, is that the car of our dreams is not readily available to all of us, and if it were, the means (translated $$) to get it aren't. The look of the '70 HAS Always been my favorite. Even if I were to find a '70 'vert tomorrow, 1) I couldn't afford it and 2) I wouldn't be able to sell my '69 for anywhere near what I have in it (I realize this applies to most if not all of us). So my option? Change my cat to suit what I want it to look like within my means. To me, what I want to do is no different than changing paint color, modifying engine components, or doing anything else that would change our cars from their purely stock state. As I said, I DO respect your opinion. I even applaud you for stating it. I have been trying to locate a '70 hood, etc. for a long time and it seems that everytime I mention why I want this part, all communication has come to a dead halt with no explanations. I can only assume they dissapproved but, unlike you, couldn't or wouldn't express there thoughts for whatever reason. I can assure you of one thing. EVEN if I was ever able to afford something like Cougar 1 or even something more common like a boss eliminator or 428 'vert in ORIGINAL condition, I can HONESTLY say that I wouldn't because I believe some cars SHOULD NOT be messed with and I'm not disciplined enough at this point in my life to adhere to that philosphy. One other thing also, even if I do do this to my cat I would never call it a '70. I would call it what it is- a '69 with a '70 front or even a 'mutt'.

Thank you for your opinion

Chuck

·
Registered
329 Posts
69 or 70

Ragcat now I understand were your comming from and respect what you are about to do.When your done don't forget to show us pictures . :D 70 XR7 Ragtop

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Chuck & Steel, I agree with both of you....I'm so confused!!!:confused: lol Hey Chuck have you tried to trade the 69 for a 70....you never know someone may be interested. I just want a vert, I'll take either year but I would prfer the 70 also.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Hey Chuck have you tried to trade the 69 for a 70....you never know someone may be interested. John"

Now John. You Know that anyone smart enought to own a '70 in the first place isn't going to trade it for a '69! (NO disrespect meant to ANYONE!! All just poking fun!!:devil: )

Chuck

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 69 has a 70 hood and grille only because when I purchased the car it was missing the entire grille and lights and one fender ext. I had a 70 for parts and my cat isn't going to sit waiting for parts that I can substitute for a while. Anyone wanting to trade my 70 parts for 69 just say the word. I Love all the classic COUGARS !!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts