Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo,

can someone tell me what the difference is between 69 and 70 front fender (passenger side) and door (passenger side)?
Can I make them fit on my 70 Cougar or will there be obvious differences in fitment and look?

Thanks a lot!

Timon

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hi Timon,

The doors are the same except a drivers 70 door doesn't have the two rivet holes for the door tag and a '69 does. I know you are asking about passenger side but just saying.

Fenders are the same except the 70 has a larger marker light opening.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
good answer, LOL

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had to think long and hard about it though huh? LOL

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Am I wrong thinking the 70 wheel opening was smaller too? Coulda swore I read that somewhere ...don't mean it was right though

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Rear quarter panel wheel openings are larger on the 1970 models. They also have shorter rocker mouldings, because of this.

There is something different between the fronts of 1969-70 fenders. They use different front splash shields inside.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Rear quarter panel wheel openings are larger on the 1970 models. They also have shorter rocker mouldings, because of this.

There is something different between the fronts of 1969-70 fenders. They use different front splash shields inside.
That is true. I thought the basic fender was the same though. C'mon Carcheologist, time for some research, we'll be waiting to hear what you find!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone know for sure that I can use the 69 fender on my 70 Cougar? Without any differences in appearance or any bigger problems?
Found someone here in Germany who has one for sale!

Greetings!"

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Probably will work, the fender extensions are different, the obvious part is that it has an additional locating stud. Fender extensions do not interchange because of the trim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts