Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Can anyone explain me in simple words what the difference between all these distributors is?

i mean the difference between magnetic,dual points,unilite...etc
and difference in vacuum and mechanical advance...

I just ordered a new distributor (dual points mallory ) cause i was sure that was gonna work
now i am wondering what the difference is and if i should have bought another one?

Greets !!

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are a couple of basic types of distributors to choose from. A points type is the older design, before electronic ignitions it was the only game in town, except magnetos. The only difference between a single point and dual point is the single point design uses one set of points and the dual point uses two sets. In the 70s breakerless (no points) distributors were introduced on mass produced cars. They don't have the mechanical limitations a points type ignition has. Electronic ignitions have fewer moving parts and are super reliable. Mallory (Unilite), MSD, Pertronix, and several others offer replacement electronic distributors for older models. You can really step up the spark with elecrtonic ignitions.

Vacuum and mechanical advance refer to ingition timing. Vacuum advance uses manifold vacuum to advance the timing and mechanical advance uses spring loaded weights under the distributor base plate (under the point and condenser) and utilizes centrifugal force to advance the timing.

If you are restoring a car and want to make it all original, you'll want to use a points type ignition, however if you don't mind some modification the electronic breakerless ignition is the way to go. I don't care if I ever change another set of points!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Smag,

way i see it now is that i should have bought an electronic ignition....fk !
i just bought the dual one ( still beter then the original ) but i wanted to go for the best and screwed myself....
another one for the ,stupid things i did with or to my cougar "book"....sucks

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Probably the best you can do is use a Ford Duraspark distributor from a 75-80 engine (buy a rebuilt distributor from your local parts store) and use that to trigger an aftermarket electronic unit like a MSD6a. The Duraspark distributor is very common, and parts needed should be easily available even in Europe. The latest generation of MSD 6a units is pretty indestructible as well. Probably the last ignition your car will ever need!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I just did a bunch of performance upgrades on my 68 cougar...Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, and added an MSD 6a module, as well as disc brakes and a fatter sway bar. I had, and reused the duraspark distributor, even though I had a Mallory Unilite available.
I prefer the magnetic action, VS the the light triggered device. I have a full MSD system in my 69 cougar with a 351W, and I think, for the money, the Duraspark/MSD box is the way to go. Distributors that have breaker points, either single or dual, are more subject to failure just because of the contact point, (that's what "points" are).
This link covers the basic differences pretty well. The Mallory is an optical trigger, and the Ford/MSD uses a magnetic trigger.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/105028-msd-vs-mallory-distributor.html

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for explaining guys,

its clear to me that i need ( want ) an electronic ignition.
Studid thing is that i am stuck now with the new dual points mallory and i cannot return it ( only us customers can return items ( jegs ) )
And to buy another one right away is getting a bit expensive for me this month ( going under surgery end this month so i need the cash )

if i can sell the dual point here fast then i can buy a new electronic....

Trouble is i must do something cause my engine is doing real crazy since 2 weeks
and i need a new distributor badly !

maybe i install this one for a month or 2 and then buy a electronic ,disadvantage is that i cant sell the dual point for the
full bucks anymore after use.....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Do you have an auto recycle yard that specializes in American cars near by? A duraspark ignition set up should not be too expensive, even over there..How long does it take to get stuff shipped you to from the states?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Electronic ignition has no maintenance, is more accurate and has a hotter spark than a points system. Point systems require maintenance but normally do not leave you on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck like electronic ignition will do some day. If you are building a high output engine electronic is the only way to go. If you are going to run a stock or near stock engine points are fine as long as you do not mind replacing points and condenser every 6-10K miles or so. Points are getting expensive these days so if you drive your cat a lot you could pay for an electronic system in a few years. A good way around this is to convert a stock point distributor to electronic such as a Petronix Ignitor or Ignitor II system. Keep all the old parts and the tools needed to change back to points in the car at all times if the electronic system ever fails. If you have a factory tach also keep a jumper wire to feed B+ to the system if the tach goes bad.

BTW a dual point system should work just fine for you. Dual points allow for longer dwell which makes for a hotter spark at high rpm than a single point system. The only thing you would gain by getting an electronic dist would be slightly hotter and more accurate spark and no points changing. I'd use the dual point if I already payed for it.

Bill

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have an auto recycle yard that specializes in American cars near by? A duraspark ignition set up should not be too expensive, even over there..How long does it take to get stuff shipped you to from the states?
Yeah we have a couple of adress for mustang parts over here
but prices are double, even three times as expensive over here then the US prices

Just because they know if i need a part badly i will come to them and pay more (they just take advantage of it )
if i have patience i order in the US and mostly after a week parts are here...

But as i said, if i break something tommorow i am obliged ' forced' to go to the shops over here and pay like $35 for a pair of valve cover GASKETS ( no ****,recently happend)

And i drive my cougar daily so when i buy new items i always try to go for the best items ( offcourse as far as my wallet reaches )

Thanks guys !

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Too bad you are not working on a 289/302, I have a distributor and module I would sell pretty cheap...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Allright,yesterday we installed the new distributor
(i send the mallory back and got me a accel electronic distributor )

And my what a difference !!!
Swapping the original (yes original ) for a new electronic one is the best thing i could do
engine runs absolutely fabulous and the gain in power is great fun,dont have a kickdown cable yet,so once i have that i will be even more fun

(next stop gears! )
Thanks guys for the help once more!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts