Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from obvious things like being in different parts of the country, and San Jose production of Cougars being a much shorter time period, are there any differences? Are the cars from one plant the same as the other, more or less? Same build quality, generally? Anything that makes one special over the other?

I did use the search function and didn't find a thread discussing this. And my reason for asking is that the San Jose production code for my Cougar got me wondering if they're better, worse, or if it doesn't really mean much of anything.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
1968 was a full year of production for Cougars at San Jose, but Dearborn still produced 60,000+ more Cougars.
1969 Cougar production in San Jose was over in late November 1968.
All of the GT-E's and XR7-G's were built in Dearborn.
San Jose did not produce any convertibles during the short production period for the 1969 Cougars.
Generally, the San Jose factory did not use body buck tags.

San Jose built Cougars seldom were sent to DSO's outside of 14 western States and Western Canada. Dearborn Cougars were shipped far and wide.

A personal observation by me: On the backs of 1969 Cougar, San Jose door tags, there is often a hand written letter "B" or "W". In every single case it has corresponded to either a "Black" or "White" vinyl top.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It seems like on 70 H code cars, the San Jose ones were more likely to be Windsors. The 70 I used to have was sold in Los Gatos about 15 minutes from the San Jose plant, but it was a Dearborn car. I wonder why Los Gatos got (some) Dearborn cars? Mine was a late 70 (#70075)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
And my reason for asking is that the San Jose production code for my Cougar got me wondering if they're better, worse, or if it doesn't really mean much of anything.
I would think it would have been difficult 40 years ago to make a judgement as to which plant produced a better car. Now with not many cars left that are actually original anymore it would be impossible. So I'm going to go with "it doesn't really mean much of anything."

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My 68 standard was built/sold and stayed in San Jose until I bought it in 1985. The only differance I've observed other then the buck tag is the under body color. The San Jose Cougar is black and my Dearborn built G is red oxide. But, it seams like even that can change from day to day at either planet.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts