Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 69 XR7 Cougar while my buddy has a base model 70 Cougar. He says the only difference between the base and the XR7's are the trim package. I have heard that there is a mechanical difference. Who is right??? Any info is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
DoctorPotion said:
Hi,

I have a 69 XR7 Cougar while my buddy has a base model 70 Cougar. He says the only difference between the base and the XR7's are the trim package. I have heard that there is a mechanical difference. Who is right??? Any info is greatly appreciated!
There are significant differences, but theyare not mechanical.
The body code is different. 65A for a standard, 65B for XR7 and 65C for a bench seat, all Hardtops. 76A standard converts, 76B XR7 converts. Both had a 351 W 2 bbl H Code(351C in 1970) standard. All engines were available except for the Boss 302.

Eliminators were only available in 65A and did have a 351W M Code(C in 1970) 4 bbl standard. Boss 302 was an exclusive option G Code.

The Eliminators did have the XR7 gauges (w/o the wood trim) that are not easily retrofited to a standard.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
XR7 over Cougar

The main diffs that come to mind for me are the leather interiors and full instrumentation including a factory tach in the XR7 models.A Cougar is a nice car but the XR7 is like a mini bird Hope this helps;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts