Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my roof has been replaced, on my 69. Since the car is so far stripped out, I am going to get some other body work done. I have a fairly rust free car, (by east cost standards!) but I still have some metal work that needs done. I have an extra rear clip from a 70, that I was trying to get rid of, but now I think I can put it to use!
What are the major differences between a 69 and 70 rear end, as far as the sheet metal goes? Any reason I can't get some patches out of the parts, condition not with standing?
Leaving now in 3 days and a few hours for Kuwait for 6 months. I'm hoping to get the car done while I am gone, so I only have to do the engine when I get back..

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Side marker bezel openings are larger on the 1970.

1970 also has a larger wheel opening.

Thank you, and be safe on your next deployment.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Also the 69 door jambs dont have the vents like a 70 does.

Be safe

thanks
pat

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Are the 70 parts at least a good place for the body guy to start with then?

·
Registered
913 Posts
If they were mine, I would damn sure use them!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I believe the '70 is approx 3/4" wider at the bottom and of course the side marker light, too bad cause I'm getting my car done right now and only could get '69's locally, they are going on my '70. If you were closer and it was a couple months back we could have swapped LOL. Just so you know the 69 rocker moulding is a bit longer b/c of this, so I'm not sure if your putting them on but you should measure it all up for fitment of those.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, hopefully my body guy will only need to make patch panels, rather than a whole swap. I know that my 70 clip isn't perfect, but the outer sheet metal looks to be good so far. I am looking forward to getting some pics of the work while I am here!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Share them with us when you do! Good luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I wouldn't have guessed the wheel openings to be larger on the 70 model, I leaned something today.
If you look at a side pic of a 69 and a 70, you can see it. Once you see it, the 69 looks funny because the front wheel opening is bigger than the rear. They match more on a 70.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, if I could post pictures from work, I would. So far the right rear quarter was replaced, repaired and welded in. The drivers side rear wasn't as bad, and it too, is pretty much complete.Trip to the frame shop, and then on to more body work. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, you can see the quarter panel removed, and new metal replaced. The roof interior, is my crappy patch job, to keep water out. The failed sheet metal removed, and the new skin applied.
Now just seemed like the time to plan on paint, as the rest of the car is completely empty...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts