Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m looking for a diff. lock for a 9" rearend.
It´s only for the street/fun.

Have any of you tried the powertrax 1810-LR or should I go for the ford racing or detroit?

Lars

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I read somewhere (here I think it was) that the Power Trax were not so good. I like the Detroit Tru Trac for street use. No clutches to wear out and no friction modifier needed for the lube.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I have one installed, no extra parts or mod's, the unit consists of a new pinion carrier.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Looks like a good deal. How used are they.
I've never used any of the Roush parts but some of the guys I race with swear by em'. I've seen used clutch plates from Roush that honestly look new.

Parts are routinely changed out on race cars not by wear but by hours/races on the part.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I should know this but don't.
What should my 69 have 28 or 31 spline.

·
Registered
628 Posts
ZMAN,
I'm by no means an expert but the best advice I received from someone here that was priceless to me concerning the # of splines on my 69 was this. On the end of the axle after you remove the tire if your endcap is oval shaped then you have a 28 spline a round one meant it was a 31 spline. I passed this tidbit of information on to the guy who was going to originally do my locking rearend for me. He didn't believe it and suggested that I allow him to remove the rearend count the splines then put it back together so I could drive it home until all the parts arrived. I quickly got out of there and found a different shop. The new shop that actually did my rearend work knew of the spline endcap identification tip and to top it off the guy was only 29 years old. Jacob did an excellent job and I'm very happy with my truetrac locking rearend and 3:55 gears.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I should know this but don't.
What should my 69 have 28 or 31 spline.
I believe that only the CJ or Boss cars got the 31 spline axles but before I ordered a carrier I think it would be wise to spend 30 minutes to pull an axle and count the splines.

ZMAN,
I'm by no means an expert but the best advice I received from someone here that was priceless to me concerning the # of splines on my 69 was this. On the end of the axle after you remove the tire if your endcap is oval shaped then you have a 28 spline a round one meant it was a 31 spline. I passed this tidbit of information on to the guy who was going to originally do my locking rearend for me. He didn't believe it and suggested that I allow him to remove the rearend count the splines then put it back together so I could drive it home until all the parts arrived. I quickly got out of there and found a different shop. The new shop that actually did my rearend work knew of the spline endcap identification tip and to top it off the guy was only 29 years old. Jacob did an excellent job and I'm very happy with my truetrac locking rearend and 3:55 gears.
I'm not an expert either but I have seen a pair of axles that ID from the ends to be 31 spline but were 28 spline. Always best to count the splines.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Vert.

The one you have installed is it this one:

Summitracing:
Detroit locker 912A587- eaton detroit true trac diff.

Lars
Lars,

That's the one!

Bob

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Always best to count the splines.
Yep. Always.
Generally the small block cars are 28 spline, but a lot can happen in 40+ years and in manufacturing.

I'm a Detroit Locker kind of guy. The True-Trac is a great product too.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Looks like I have the 28.
But, I will check before ordering a locker.

Darn, that was such a good deal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bob,

When you do a burnout, is it then 50/50 on the rear wheels, and under normal driving it works like a normal diff???
I was ready to order, but then I saw the video on how it works.

Lars

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Okay; I know that the question that I'm about to ask will show my ignorance.....But, how else can I learn something?
Can anyone explain to me why the 3.25 Traction-Lok axle that is on my recently purchased 73 cougar is a good option to have? I'm a dentist not a mechanic, but we both use tools;)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Bob,

When you do a burnout, is it then 50/50 on the rear wheels, and under normal driving it works like a normal diff???
I was ready to order, but then I saw the video on how it works.

Lars
Yes Lars. What did you see that leads you to think otherwise?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Okay; I know that the question that I'm about to ask will show my ignorance.....But, how else can I learn something?
Can anyone explain to me why the 3.25 Traction-Lok axle that is on my recently purchased 73 cougar is a good option to have? I'm a dentist not a mechanic, but we both use tools;)

Jeff
Good if you like to leave a stop sign quickly and would like both rear tires assistance in doing so.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts