Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from sunny Hawaii!

I am relatively new to the Classic car community, and having only owned Japanese cars, relatively new to the large Engine. So I have a couple of questions. I have a 1971 Coug with a 351C and recently I have had some problems with the engine overheating, and also with it Dieseling. Now, the dieseling thing scared the crap out of me, it was a totally new thing to me. So I replaced the plugs and wires, and the old plugs came out sort of reddish, and I was told thats because the engine is running too hot. So, my questions are, what are my options as far as cooling go? I have flushed the radiator, and verified that I have flow through the radiator, but how much is enough? is it possble that my water pump is on the way out? And..As far as dieseling goes, I understand what happens, but is there a good way to stop it?

All help is Invaluable!
Dave
[email protected]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well Dave I just so happen to be an expert at overheating and if you're willing to pay my airfare and expenses I would be happy to lake at look at your cat. Of course it may take a week or two to properly diagnos lol Just kidding of course, I and another Cougar owner was having a similar overheating problem but I have never had an occurance of deiseling. I'm sure one of the resident experts on this site will come to the rescue. I for one will probably replace my own radiator. Although I only have 55,000 original miles it's still over 30 years old. Good luck, it doesn't seem like too big of a problem to fix.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
dieseling is usually caused by timing out of time (usually retarded). Since you replaced plugs, check the timing. It also could be a cause of the overheating as well. Good luck.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts