Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Did you know they were originaly going to call the m.....m...........m..............mustangs......COUGAR???????

True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good thing they didn't
That means we could have mustangs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek2:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I remember something about that on Car and Driver TV. If I remember correct Ford had several design teams create prototypes, the car that won was called the Cougar but it looked just like the 64 1/2 Stang. It was kind of funny looking seeing a stang with the Running Cat emblem on the grill instead of a pony.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
COUGAR II

Yes, we all know the story of Ford dropping the "cougar " name and going with the Mustang; after building a prototype called the "cougar 2" in 1966. Since the "pony" car market (1965) was created and became super popular, Mercury wanted to be part of the action and developed their own "pony" car and acquired the previously dropped name from Ford (COUGAR) in 1967 and the rest is history. I have a couple of books showing the many clay full size models Ford was doing and then Mercury in the development of the "cougar". As well as the MPC plastic model kit of the "cougar II". I also have a neat mint post card showing the mustangs and cougars on the same assembly line in 1967. Avery cool story.. :)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I'd like to see that model:D

Don

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
didnt someone make a model of it? i thought someone did?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
COUGAR II PICTURES

Sorry. I tried three times to put a picture of one of the two "cougar 2" kits I have on this thread using the lowest setting on my camera. The reply that I got was that I excedded the maximum size. Something must be wrong as I have put pictures on the site before?? Sorry everyone..

COUGRRRMAN:)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
when i get home tonight, i will post some pics i have of the evolution of the mustang, some of the sketches resemble the 64 t-bird, one of the first prototypes was in 62, a two seater w/ rear mounted V4 engine. there was another one with what looks like hide-a-way lights. it is in a 1970 ford magazine that i saved, i keep it sealed in a freezer bag. there is some bizzaro Ford stuff in it.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Here's a picture (I hope - never done this...) of one of the last Mustang prototypes prior to production - check out the grill!

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
What is not as well known is that ford beat out chrysler by 15 minutes and they were planning on calling the baracuda the mustang. so had crysler beaten ford the mustang would of been the cougar and who knows what we would be calling our Cats. Maybe Mercury Lepords?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
my first mustang was nick-named"the stang" by my friends at first, then it went to just "tang" then poontanger then at the end, ten years later was just "poonster".
go figure, we were young and pretty hi all the time.
Now then. more on the first tangs

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
a pic

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
mustang prototype sketches

·
Registered
2,145 Posts