Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my youth (around 1975) I ran across (at least I THINK I did) a 1968 Cougar that was for sale in a car lot in Minnesota. I swear it wore 'California Special' badges and had a rear deck spoiler like the one in the picture Royce posted in a different thread.

My question to all of those more knowledgable than I:

Did Mercury (or any of the dealers) ever produce a car like that?

It was a Standard and it had a manual transmission.

Ken

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
There was a California Special Mustang in 68. Possibly 67 as well? Nice looking car, kind of a cross between the Mustang and the Shelby. I have never heard of a Cougar variation, though.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I've never seen a CS Cougar. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist as a regional promotion or as a one-off. There was a 69 Colorado ski package that I've yet to see.

There's quite a bit of history around the 68 Mustang California Special, and has been documented. It did start out as a Shelby idea. You'd think if a Cougar was done at the same time it would have been at least noted.......

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I've never heard of one, but I never heard of a calypso coral either, so, who knows....

Bruce

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
a couple years back I thought I saw one of those CS cougars while driving thru LA . I had my redcat about a year by then so I was always on the lookout for cats... BUT I don't think mercury ever promoted such a thing .... I bet some guy just thought it would look cool on his cat..... my .02

Don

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it was definately a Cougar I ALMOST bought. I remember the script of the emblem was like the Mustangs.

But whether time, drugs and alcohol have disrupted my memory is entirely another story...

I have yet to see anything else about 'em either.

Ken

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
LOL I know the feeling ....back east anything with "Califorina" on it was good as gold... at least back in the 70s... When I crossed the state line when i moved here I was disappointed cause there was NO BEACH!!!! LOL................. I know better now.. Hell ... all I get nowadays is cotton and corn fields!!! LOL

Don

Don

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I spoke with a guy who's dad owned a ford lot in the late 60-early70's. His dealership was special, and received alot of performance cars,xr7-g gte,elininators,boss302mustangs,cyclone spoilers,etc. he said they made alot of dealer add on cars by adding emblems, ram air gte trim etc. Definately a good possissibly. It would be neat to see. Ken, drugs? alcohal? nahhh. I dont believe it ! geoff

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
The Calypso Special

In '68 the Calypso Special was offered. And, as its name implies, it was offered in Calypso Coral. I believe Logan has some pics of our club member's CC '68 on this site.

If not check out http://www.mercurycougars.com

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Its like I tell my daughter re the tooth fairy, if you believe it exists, then it exists.:)

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
comments like this will not be tolerated.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
no need to fuel the fire.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Wow more attitudes and attacks for no reason what a surprise, sure liked it better here when it was about helping people rather than trying to tear them down to uplift your own insecurities.... It was not uncommon for dealerships to do and add things they wanted to cars as all could be ordered then applied at the dealership. Therefore, I have no doubt that one or two could have existed for no more than one dealership. Look at the cougar Ray Harwood owns. There were also the twister specials like the Torino in my gallery and mustangs with cardinals on them but cant recall exactly where they offered them but I believe they were a Virginia or West Virginia car or maybe Carolinas. Thing was it was all about bringing in people to the show rooms. The only thing I could suggest is that in addition, this was 75 or so and a PO could have just as easily put the emblems on. Sure would be a research project worth finding out though. It would be a wonderful bit of history.

·
Registered
448 Posts
CS cougar

Greg is right on here. There are examples all over North America of regional promo cougars. I have even seen pictures somewhere on the web of a "Cougar 500" emblem that was used in a promo in the Carolina's I believe. It would be interesting to go back through the local library micro fische files and look for sunday newspaper ads for LM, and see what you come across for promo's.
Paul Garvin
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
280 Posts
All of this is very true regarding dealership add-ons. The thing about the Cal Specials and High Country Specials (have ya heard of that one? :)) was that they were designated as such from the factory. Therefore, a Marti report will verify them. I'm a former owner of a '68 GT/CS (as recently as three months ago) and became quite knowledgeable about them while I had the car. For more info on the '68 GT/CS and '66-'68 HCS, check out:

www.californiaspecial.com

I don't believe that the dealerships got body panels, however, so I'm not sure if you would've seen a "California Special" Cougar on the showroom floor. My guess would be that the panels were added by the owner of the car, but you never know...

-Winston

P.S. A newcomer to our forums, Deadstang, currently owns a GT/CS.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I Saw a lot of wierd stuff when I worked at Star L & M in the mid to late 70's... Like a bronco done up in Detriot Lion colors silver and blue complete with the Lion logo on the fender. Hotrod Capri car in black and gold with spoilers and special graphics.... designer Mark V s...

Don

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hey Don, which "Star L/M"...the one in Glendale?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Telegragh and 12 mile road in Southfield Michigan. You know... right across from the Tel-twelve mall :)

Don

1 - 19 of 19 Posts