Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna use this as a catch-all thread for the ongoing progress of my Cougar. So I've decided on a name. *Diane, in reference to the never seen person all of Agent Cooper's microcassette memos are addressed to in Twin Peaks. *

So the fuel pump, man what a pain in the ass that was. *We spent a good hour or two trying to get the nut in place and the bolt through. *There was *no* angle to get back behind there to hold the nut in place. *I had to lay under the car and hold my arm in a contorted position and balance the nut on my fingertip while Roy tried to get the bolt through with the nut in just the right spot. *The lock washer was an impossibility, but we put some locktite on it, and there's nothing that locks the bolt into place in the normal configuration, so...

Once we were done, she didn't leak a drop of gas, so I think we pulled it off just fine. *When I slid the cardboard under at the new garage, there was nothing dropping from the fuel pump area, so I feel gold about it. *

The power steering reservoir took quite a bit of fluid before it even hit the dipstick, but once it was loaded up it didn't pour out or anything. *Leak seemed about the same as before. *

Drove home without issue. *The steering bugs me, I want it fixed for sure. *That was one of the three things that I noticed on the ride home that detracted from my driving experience. *

First was driving with no plates of any sort (though I had the title and bill of sale sitting next to me on the passenger seat). *Just made me uncomfortable thinking I was likely to get pulled over in a heartbeat. *Turns out that worry was unfounded, while I was at a red light on Elston, a cop caravan of three cars passed me slowly on the right, the last one was definitely in a position where while he was sitting at the light he'd have a clear view of my no license plate. *They didn't seem to care at all. *Sometimes I love Chicago. *

Second was the steering, it's just so obvious it's wrong. *The 15 degrees or so of slack, the way it feels like it's sliding over a hump at a spot near the center, and the way it drifts a bit, I just really look forward to that being squared away. *

Last was the rattling. *There's a fairly constant rattle, sounds like metal on metal I think, it almost sounds like if there was a bolt sitting in a metal pan, but I know all the bolts and tools we were using tonight are accounted for. *It sounds like it's coming from the front right wheel area, which creeps me out that it might be the brake caliper the previous owner said was noisy. *I wanna find out what's going on there. *

Those are the biggies. *And really, just getting the plates on there is gonna make a big difference I think. *Then there's more quirky stuff that is less of a priority but I wanna get to after those three.*

I don't know if this is even an issue, but when the choke is set, the lights pulsate brighter and dimmer at a frequency of maybe once a second. *It's an electronic choke so I can see that making sense, I just need to know, is that a sign of a weak or underpowered alternator? *It's of no consequence since it's only doing it at high idle, but if it's a symptom of a problem I wanna know. *

I heard a ticking at one point, which had me wondering what it was. *After maybe 30 seconds of it I realized the clock had come to life, briefly, and was jumping around erratically. *But then it stopped. *That was interesting. *

The speedometer reporting about 20% low is something I wanna fix eventually but I can deal with pretty easily for however long I need to. *Is that because the tires are non-stock, the rear end was changed out, both, neither?

The engine temperature gauge didn't even get to half way after the 40 minute drive home. *Makes me wonder if it's reporting correctly.

The gear shift doesn't line up right with the letters. *Drive lights up both neutral and drive, for example. *Is that maybe indicative of the trans having been changed previously to a different model? *Or could it be related to the rear end having been changed from 8" to 9"? *Or is it just something that would get out of whack over 40 years? *Can it be fixed? *I have no problem with it as-is, it could stay like that forever and I wouldn't care much. *

Getting her into the garage was far from easy. *One thing for sure, i won't ever be driving even slightly tipsy, because it takes pretty much surgical precision to get in. *The clearance on each side between the car and the door is just a few inches. *I only had to go back and forth three times, no biggie, but it's a really damn tight fit. *Makes me want to look into maybe putting a mirror for the passenger side. *That doesn't seem like a very easy mod though, and it's a destructive one, so I'll need to see if I get comfortable getting in there without one. *

With all that being said, I love this car. The steering and rattling I want squared away as soon as possible. *The plate will be resolved tomorrow. *DMV was closed for Columbus Day today or I woulda done it already. *Once that stuff is taken care of, I'll be able to drive her right. *Take turns with a little speed. *Use the iPhone app that times your 0 to 60, from an on ramp to the expressway at night. *That sorta fun stuff.

I still don't know which I like best, looking at her, driving her, or working on her. *I definitely had the feeling tonight, as we wrestled with the stupid nut for the fuel pump, of finding the most amazing horse out in the wild and having to let her know who she belongs to. *I feel like she's definitely mine now. *And I want her healthy and at the top of her game. *

And so it begins! *:)

Oh, and the cassette player works, which is beyond awesome. *So nice!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I don't know if it just me, but your post made me see stars! :buck:

Good luck with the new cat.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hey Rookie.....you should check out Cold Cougar....his car he calls Frank/Franki/Frankenstein......but refers to (him) as HER.....talk about giving a car a complex.....

tmh....enjoy!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Stars?? Nothing... I can't get past guys constantly naming their cars after women. Diane is my grandmother's first name and Isabel is my other grandmother's middle name.
Shouldn't you be in school? :1poke:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I suggest the factory workshop manual, gives you a good general knowlege of most repairs. Available in book form or CDROM.
Steering slop is most likely a worn box but could be a worn idler arm, mis-adjusted ps valve, etc. Leak could be a worn seal or a hose leaking/loosened fitting.
If it's a rattling caliper, lightly apply the brakes, if the rattling goes away you probably need caliper bushings.
Workshop manual covers the above repairs.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Stars?? Nothing... I can't get past guys constantly naming their cars after women. Diane is my grandmother's first name and Isabel is my other grandmother's middle name.
because my car is FAR to sexy (she has real nice hips and a hot grill) and I spend too much time with her to consider her a guy ... I dont know which way you ...... see things (not that there's anything wrong with that) .... but thats where I'm at ... :uhoh: ... if it was a big 4x4 or deisel hauler or something rugged like that ... then it gets to be a him

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man that is so weird, because my grandmother's name is Rookie. What are the odds?!?

I realize this is an automobile and not a woman. My 4runner doesn't have a name. Also, if you look at other languages like Italian, French, Spanish, every object has a gender. A pencil is a girl, a pen is a boy, and so on. Cars are, of course, girls. It's just how it is. But yeah, I totally don't think my car has a gender or anything. It's all good.

The stars are really strange, I wrote this in the email app on my iPhone as an update to my dad and his buddy who are helping me learn the ropes and such. Apparently somewhere between copying it there and pasting it here, the asterisks were mysteriously added. Huh.

Oh and I hope it doesn't make any difference to anyone, but for what it's worth I'm 37 years old. Not nearly young enough for someone born in '68 to qualify as a Cougar, y'know?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did Mercury make one of them too?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Art, I already had planned to order the shop manual but got sidetracked that day and ordered the Marti report instead. I'll be ordering the shop manual and a cover either today or tomorrow most likely.

I'll definitely try lightly applying the brakes and see if that cuts the rattling. The guy I bought it from said the front right caliper rattles in turns, but this rattling was happening everywhere, turns, straight, just everywhere.

Man I'm dying to get to the DMV and get some temporary plates!!!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Man that is so weird, because my grandmother's name is Rookie. What are the odds?!?
ROFL (plus six characters to meet the minimum requirements)

·
Registered
980 Posts
because my car is FAR to sexy (she has real nice hips and a hot grill) and I spend too much time with her to consider her a guy ... I dont know which way you ...... see things (not that there's anything wrong with that) .... but thats where I'm at ... :uhoh: ... if it was a big 4x4 or deisel hauler or something rugged like that ... then it gets to be a him

Sounds like a mid-life crisis to me...at least it isn't another woman.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wait didn't he say his car's a female? This is all so confusing. If I had it all to do again I might just title the thread "my car" and refer to my car using "it" to save all the confusion.

What a great voice she's got though. :p

I would be really happy with any suggestions as to any of the technical issues I raised. I guess it's too long of a post so they kinda get lost in there.

Temporary plates are in hand. Good stuff.

So to check if it's the caliper rattling and if I just need those excellent $3 parts to fix (fingers crossed), what else do I need to do (other than the brake lightly test), just jack her up and pull the wheel off and see if the caliper is loose where it's mounted? That seems about my speed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
To check for your power steering leak wipe you control valve, cylinder, pump and hoses clean with the engine off. After everything is clean and dry use your same cardboard method with the engine running for short periods of time in the driveway. This might help pin point the leak when it hits the cardboard. Good luck with your car.

On a different note what happened to Rookie's posts?

Steven

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
So to check if it's the caliper rattling and if I just need those excellent $3 parts to fix (fingers crossed), what else do I need to do (other than the brake lightly test), just jack her up and pull the wheel off and see if the caliper is loose where it's mounted? That seems about my speed.
There are two long bolts (9/16" hex) that attach the caliper to the spindle. The bushings/grommets simply push into the holes in the spindle. A little brake grease will help.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
that should be fairly obvious....
It's obvious they were deleted, but why? Personally didn't think he was being off-color or offensive about anything, did you? Or is there a minimum age requirement? Thought we'd had kids on board before(teens, that is)?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts