Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there have an original engine upgrade on their DGS? I'm tring to find out if the chrome valve covers say "powered by ford" or they are just plain. also is the air cleaner the same as the blue one? The reason is I want to put this detail on the cats and I'm wondering if I just chrome the ones that are on there will it be correct...

Don

·
11,000 Posts
Don,

I bought a '67 Dan Gurney Special from the original owner back in 1975. It had the "A" code 289-4V and the chrome factory engine dress up package. The valve covers were like all other '67 289's with plain covers, no lettering but chromed. The air cleaner lid was chromed and was identical to any other 289 for 1967 except being chrome.

That car was similar to yours, it was Vintage Burgundy with black standard interior. Options included power steering, power drum brakes, air conditioning and DGS package. I painted it (myself) with black lacquer and block sanded and rubbed the paint until it just about glowed. It was one straight undamaged car and looked *****in in black. I sold it for $1500 in 1976 which was a fortune to me at the time.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Royce!
That's kinda what I thought.... 1500 was a lot of $$$$$ back then. If we only knew! Any body out there got a plain set of valve covers that will fit a 289???? mine say powered by ford :(

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts