Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best cleaners for detailing around chrome, in the cracks of the dash, seats, gauge rims, road grime on turn signals that just won't come off......etc. Know i could look on the shelves at a store but would appreciate any insight from somebody who's had good luck with certain products on all the above areas. Don't want to discolor or ruin, but want to deep clean years of dirt.

thx

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I like the grit guard bucket but - $134 - REALLY? Whoa - guess I'll make my own. Wouldn't take much. I could see 40-50 (or maybe I am a cheap @ss!?)
The bug guard stuff sounds like something a guy should have.....
For most polished metals the semichrome stuff is pretty well known and spoken highly of....for aluminum I think this stuff is very good: http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-metallwerk--aluminum-bundle.html?productid=wolfgang-metallwerk--aluminum-bundle&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CP_whLG1t7ECFY2b7Qod7GgAIg

·
Registered
545 Posts
My list of time tested solutions:

"Westley's Bleach White" for cleaning white letter/wall tires.

Isopropyl alchohol for removing pine sap (waxing is required after) & is a also good for disolving hairspray residue from the wife's bathroom.

A 4 to 1 mix of warm water (4) & kerosene (1) for removing bugs from the front bumper & paint (waxing is required after).

Meguairs foaming tire treatment to dress tires.

"Never Dull" cloth wadding for cleaning up most other metals. (not for plastic chromed items)

Soft buffing wheel to clear up plastic lenses (if they can't be removed, I just use an eyeglass cloth and that's about all I can do without causing more damage).

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I've had great luck using Simple Green when cleaning up years of grime. That is my staple cleaner in the garage for everything. Double E has some great suggestions above as well. Brake cleaner is good too (but harsh & expensive).

Show detailing is another matter, and based on the premise that the car is spankin' clean when you leave the driveway or load it onto the trailer, not as much work is required. Below is part of an email exchange on that topic I had with another MC.netter at one point:

I use a duster, then Griot's Garage spray shine for quick detailling, but I'm certain somebody makes it for them & that Meguire's or whatever is just as good. I use a damp rag on the roof, duct tape to clean the carpet - glass cleaner on the glass - furniture polish on the vinyl - that's about it. The spray detailler cleans 90% of the car - chrome too - or you can use the glass cleaner on the chrome. I'm just careful to have 2 microfibers for the spray detail part, and I do the cleanest parts of the car 1st. Eventually, I'll use one of those microfibers to do the engine comp, underside of the hood jambs & other dirty areas.
On a '69 the coves on the side get really dirty, esp right behind the front wheel - I do them from back to front to keep the rag as clean as possible. Also the back of the car gets VERY dirty & is a beotch to clean. I do that last & sit on something while I do it - it takes a while.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I will add to these cleaners. My Cat had sit outside for several years. When I brought it inside I washed and dryed it. The paint was really rough and pretty dull. I tried waxing and to no avail. I then sprung for the Meguiars
Clay Bar. WOW. I followed the directions to a tee and the paint was restored to a beautiful shine. While using the clay bar I was amazed how much yuck came off. I then followed that with a good coat of Meguiars
car wax. I use the Meguiars Detailing Mist between. My paint is about 11 years old and the car sit outside for about 5 of those years without being driven. But the Meguiars Clay Bar was well worth the $20.00 I
spent at Target. Yes I use the Never Dull on the metal/Chrome. On the seats I use Blue Magic Leather Cream Conditioner.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anybody know what to use to revive the center console plastic on my 69 vert? Seen a few advertised on car shows on TV...one being "Wipe New" but after doing some research found out it is a total ripoff and not a real product i'm told. Would like to bring the black back from a faded grey...

thx

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You might consider just re-dying it with SEMA dye......there was a good article in one of the car mags a few years back that covered all the home-remedy detailing stuff that actually works.......can't remeber which mag it was? It was a pretty good article though. I will say one thing I have found recently that I would brag about it the metal renew from the Wizard's product line. they say it's for motorcylces but it has revived my chrome and aluminum to a very shocking condition.....I'll have to post up some picks at some point. I'm pretty impressed with it as well as thier mist n shine spray and clay system for paint. (even smells good!)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
IMO, nothing but repraying it will yield the as new look, the paint is Charcoal Black Metallic available for both vinyl and hard plastic at NPD (amongst others). Stay away from the Rainbow brand stuff if you go elsewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts