Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, it all started when a friend saw ma old radiator cap and suggested to replace it as it was way to weak and there was obviously on pressure on the cooling sytem anymore. I purchased a new standard cap and replaced the old one.

After a longer ride the engine bay was completely wet but I could not locate where all that water came from. I thought of a defective cap and ordered another one.

A week later I saw water pouring out of the warter pump and thought of a blown gasket due to (now) high pressure on the system - I replaced the gasket and found out that the waterpumps shaft seal was gone.

I ordered a new aluminium (highflow) waterpump, replaced all gaskets and as I always wanted a more powerfull musclecar sound I added a "mild" CompCam Thumpr camshaft with new lifters as I was halfway anyway when replacing the waterpump.

End of the story is that the engine was now ok but running hot after 15 minutes. I removed the overflow canister so water can escape and putted a 160° thermostat in ... still running hot after about 30min ride - especially on a highway even when only riding 50mph. Looks like the engine keeps cooler when riding smaller roads ... even at higher average speed.

After all it looks like the old radiator cap was pretty good as it allowed the hot steam to exit thru the overflow canister and therefore the heat to escape and water to cool down.

Any idea what I could do next ?! Should I put a shroud on the fan - change the fanblades to flex or even change the whole radiator (does not look to bad) ?!

Btw is the Thumpr (CCA-CL31-601-5 ordered at summit) producing way more heat ?!

Mike

·
Registered
182 Posts
Might have gotten a reverse flow water pump on accident? I would remove the thermostat all together and see if that resolves your over heating problems. If it does I would check the water pump before I check anything else. It all worked before and kept your car cool right?

1. Let car cool all the way down
2. Remove thermostat
3. Hook everything back up
4. Start car
5. Pull off radiator cap and check to see if water is "flowing". The water should be headed in the direction of where the thermostat would be. (You can also do this by sticking a piece of thread into the coolant and see which way it's being pulled....just don't let go of the thread!)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I´ll go for a shroud - but as far as I know Cougars were only equipped with a shroud if with AC. My has no AC, so should work without a shroud.

Noone any idea ?!?!

:bloated:

Mike

·
Registered
223 Posts
Might have gotten a reverse flow water pump on accident? I would remove the thermostat all together and see if that resolves your over heating problems. If it does I would check the water pump before I check anything else. It all worked before and kept your car cool right?

1. Let car cool all the way down
2. Remove thermostat
3. Hook everything back up
4. Start car
5. Pull off radiator cap and check to see if water is "flowing". The water should be headed in the direction of where the thermostat would be. (You can also do this by sticking a piece of thread into the coolant and see which way it's being pulled....just don't let go of the thread!)
Number 5? Water should flow from the Tstat aka upper hose to the rad not from the rad to the Tstat.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wasn't an issue w/old cap? I'd throw that back on quick if you have it. Should be a 15 or 16 lb cap....be sure it is truley holding pressure in the system, I wonder if you got hose or gasket not sealing right?....sounds like it A lot of changes to check before buying yet another component. ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
When is the last time you had the radiator flow tested, chemically cleaned/flushed? If you have any scale/rust build up in your radiator it will impact your cooling. A good radiator shop will be able to do that and tell you if somethingis wrong. My 69 Eliminator started to have a cooling problem over the years. I took the radiator off and it was only flowing 1/3 of what it should. HOwever after chemically cleaning, it still only did 2/3 of normal so put a new 3 row radiator in and solved all my issues. I don't see your issue being related to your cam, it is all in the cooling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts