Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a aluminum driveshaft that caught a ding in it, It didn't kink the driveshaft, but its noticable to the touch, heres a pic...
aluminumdriveshaft1.jpg
aluminumdriveshaft2.jpg
aluminumdriveshaft3.jpg

Can a drivetrain shop repair that or is it now just junk?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Can't really tell for sure....doesn't look bad, but I guess it depends on how you are gonna drive it. High RPM launches behind a high horse motor - maybe not, weekend drives to the car shows and a little spirited driving I doubt it would hurt. Probably best to use a loop for safety anyway no matter what.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, I'm looking at about 400hp so you think it will snap it like a twig? I know that it takes a lot of force to ding it in the first place.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Meh - you should be fine. aluminum ones are more for lighter/less rotational mass over steel. You don't gain much in strength unless it's internally beefed up. Carbon fiber ones are much stronger but OUCHIE on the wallet. At 400 horsies I bet you will be fine. The caveat is once the tube is distorted it it does lose strength.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see, well it came from a Aerostar, and most of the driveshafts in the junkyard were dented horribly from the forklift picking them up. I just figured I would do some experimenting since it was only $15 bucks.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
if you are going to have to have the shaft modified to fit your car, I would not recommend investing the money in a unit that is damaged to start with, I would get an undamaged one to start from.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your right 1967XR7Vert, the driveline company charges quite a bit of money and I would be upset to find out that it isn't any good to begin with, but I'm sure I can find one that hasn't been dinged by the forklift, this is just too risky. I was more interested in the length, diameter and the u joint sizes in comparison to the 8 inch, 9 inch and the 8.8. Could be a very viable mod if it proves to be in close dimensions.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
+1 if you gotta have it chopped - Your better off giving them the specs and have 'em make one for you. (unless the chope removes that bad part! ---NOT my kind of luck!)

HEY - think it would make a nice TIKI torch!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahaha Tiki torches are great! But they charge so much to make driveshafts out here (somewhere in the $500 range) u know i'm not going for it. But I'l ltrack one down though.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
hahaha Tiki torches are great! But they charge so much to make driveshafts out here (somewhere in the $500 range) u know i'm not going for it. But I'l ltrack one down though.
Hey, if the yoke sizes are correct, or at least one of the two, the price could be right to modify. I paid about $180 last year as I recall for shortening an AT one to MT length (re-using the original yoke), rewelding, balancing and new spicer permanently greased U-joints.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm trying to get everything done at the same time before I make that swap, I have a 9 inch rear end, but its open 3.00 inch gears, I want posi 3.73's and disc brakes and I want to stick a t5 or even a t56 (if I can find it) behind a 429. So whatever driveshaft I get modified would have to get the works.

The thing is, junkyard driveshafts are always damaged because the forklift destroys it when it gets moved around the yard. I have a friend in the Pick A Part who lets me see the cars in the restricted area before they get placed in the yard, so maybe I can grab one from there first, just never thought about until now.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I would be wary of putting a T5, at least in stock form behind a 429. Maybe if it was updated with the aftermarket internals but not in stock form. T56 would be better suited from what a quick web search turned up by way of power handling ability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts