Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not off-topic, since I would want my son to take this type of training before letting him drive our 67 XR7! :devil:

Just wanted to know if anyone might have info on a driver's training program that includes defensive driving, especially with winter coming. I'd like my 17 year old son to learn better how to control his car in a skid situtation. We live in Massachusetts, so a class taking place anywhere in New England we could probably go to.

I've seen programs mentioned in the newspaper that are geared for teens, but I neglected to write down the contact information.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jeanne
:)

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
In Canada, they have restructered the young drivers program. There are rules they have to adhere to before they are allowed to drive by them self (One whole year of rules, :)) . I think its a great idea personally. I took young drivers of canada when I was 16 (the only way I could get my lisence), and I go back every 10 years for the reunion, and slalom course they put up.
I think every child should go to a well respected driver course that includes classroom time and driving lessons. Sorry I cant help you in your part of the world, but do alot of digging and ask lots of questions. Check your phone book and ask questions.

Rick

·
Registered
84 Posts
That’s the way it’s in Michigan. First you have to take a class, 3 weeks of driving and bookwork and a written test. Then you have to drive six months on a permit with a parent. Then take a driving test. Then you get a restricted license until your 17 or six months after your last ticket.

·
Registered
889 Posts
try

your state highway patrol I know they have them in ohio

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
In addition to class, I took both kids out for many hours of driving myself. I started out on country dirt road that has almost no traffic. The first time out I limited them to no more than 10 mph and 1st gear. The driving time was kept to about 45 minutes per trip. It was probibly about 2 weeds before we went into town (population 3500) to do traffic.
For snow I took them to large empty parking lot where we could slide with little danger.
You need to talk supportivly to kid about what they are doing and what the risk are and how to manage them. My daughter was much harder than son. We also started with automatic trans and only did stick after they were reasonably proficient.

I still will not allow son to drive the Eliminator. No one else for that matter.

I also found a video made in Canada that I showed them. I can't remember the title though. It had the tall guy from Stinfeld in it as the lead. It is done with humor but covers all main risk to new driver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions , comments and experiences.

I DID find a school, the Skip Barber Driving School, that
has exactly what I'm looking for, unfortunately they're
a bit pricey, $700 for a 1 day class, $1200 for 2 days.

They run classes year-round at Lime Rock Race Track in CT, plus
Daytona Speedway and Laguna Seca Raceway in CA.
The website, if anyone's interested is:

www.skipbarber.com

:)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Hey Mrs67Cougar: Millis is my father's hometown. No family there now, though. Do you hit many shows down that way? Or up NH way?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That class sounds very expensive. 2 years ago my son went to class that lasted 2 weeks- 3 hrs per night with seperate driving times scheduled with instructor for a total of 8 hours in car. $375 total cost. They failed 70% of students. Class is required to get license here for anyone under 18.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I don't know much about your price structures but that also sounds awfully expensive to me - I think you should look around a bit more.
Dayle

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to TheRktmn:
We only tried showing our car, a 1967 XR7, once last year in
September at a car show in N. Attleboro. We decided we needed to put more work into the car before trying again.

We've been to a number of shows this past summer, really enjoyed the Mustang shows held at Rodman Ford in Foxboro (right across frm the NE Patriot's new stadium) and the ones held in Harford , CT by Mustangs Unlimited. Also, Morande Lincoln Mercury dealer in Manchester, CT. had a show that had many classic cougars in it.

Really looking forward next year to maybe making it to the CCOA Atlantic City show and maybe even Carlisle PA!

to Swamper:
Our son has his license already, Massachusetts requires so many hours of classroom instruction and on-the-road time.
What I was looking for was more specific training to help him learn how to handle an icy road and accident avoidance. I'll keep looking, maybe contact AAA to see if they know of any classes.

Thanks, everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts