Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!

I have a 69 Cougar XR7 with a deck lid the keeps dropping on my head. Does anyone know how to fix the darn thing so that it will quit dropping on my head?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
mine did the same thing and its most likely a problem with the torsion bars in the trunk. if you look where teh bars attach, there are a few slots that they can use to put more tension on the hinges, thus keeping the decklid up. it is possible to adjust the bars with a pair of Vice Grips, but its kind of hard to describe in words. maybe when i go and buy new batteries for my camera i can try to show how. i know there is another thread about this somewhere... thats where i learned :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The trunk lid has 2 rods that act as springs. On each side you'll see the bracket the rods connect to. They have 3 slots, one is where the rod is now, move one rod one space, by using a good stick, like a broom handleand prying. Careful, this can be dangerous! Maybe someone has a better way of doing this, as I did mine 7 years ago when I mounted a luggage rack on the decklid., so my memory is a bit faded.
Cougar Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the farther toward the back you move them, the more tension on the rods. Also, I seem to remember that both sides are supposed to be in the same notch. Hope that helps!

Tim

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
on my car the rods were in teh furthest back noth and it sagged a good amount. i moved it to the middle one and it doesnt flap in the wind anymore

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Notch toward front of car (back of trunk?) is lightest load.
You can set the bars unequal by one notch - but you should not set one in the front notch and leave the other in the back notch. The best thing is to equalize them if possible. Remember, the more tension you put on them the faster they will "wear out" or weaken again.
I use a pair of vice-grips to do mine.
Be VERY careful! These things have quite a bit of energy stored in them. If you are going to get in the trunk (some folks find it easier to do it from inside) make sure that you disable the lock so you don't get stuck in there by accident! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts