Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought or used deck lid prop rod from Cuto Industrial they sell them on ebay. Need one since i put spoiler on???

·
Registered
698 Posts
Prop rod

I used a hatchback cylinder on this modified car. It was easy to install and works great. Turn the key and the trunk opens and it stays open until you close it.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
autolok makes a trick item it is a electric ram that can be activated by remote that gently opens and closes the trunk and i think it is around 80.00 smakers if any one is interested i can look it up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I got my prop rod from Johns Classic Cougars. It was an excellent repro. Came with the clips also. I don't know if it's the same as Cuto industrials though... Guy

·
Registered
698 Posts
Prop rod

Jim,
Here are some pictures of how I installed it. I don't remember what it was for, I just measured the size I needed and went to a local O'Reilly store. The part number on it is RB8T95019.

I used a small piece of angle iron for the lower bracket with a couple holes in it to adjust the position.

Actually another plus to this set up is you don't get knocked in the head with the trunk lid when the wind blows and the factory prop rod falls out of place!!!!!!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I used a similar set-up but mounted it to the decklid itself on one end and to the channel that's right along the edge of the trunk on the quarter panel for the other end. Sorry I do not have a photo. But when closed, the "ram" lays parallel with the edge of the trunk opening and does not take up any trunk space. It did force me to remove one of the trunk hinge rods. When I'd hit the power trunk release, the decklid would fly completely open!!

Mark

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I'm thinking that the ram wouldn't have enough leverage to hold open the lid if it was mounted to the hinge. That is why badcatt has his going down to the floor. It's all in the angles and geometry, you know, something that not everyone is great at. I'm one of those people.

Mark

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Hey - what the heck do you need/want a prop rod for? Am I missing out on something? I HATE when that happens...

The trunk lid on my '67 pretty much pops open fully all by itself - is that unusual?

Gee, THANKS, guys...I had no idea I was missing out on a piece of hardware until you started this thread... *LOL*

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Hey Cowboy, I added an Eliminator style spoiler to the decklid of my 68 where there wasn't one before. At first the spring rods were strong enough to hold the decklid open. But, they quickly became weaker and I needed to do something to help support it. I believe (but don't quote me) that real eliminators had a prop rod from the factory to cure this problem, like those that hold up the hoods on some of the cars that don't have springs on their hinges. Badcatt and I as well as others here went a different route and are using a gas charged "ram" type of device like those used on a hatchback to help hold the decklid up. Hope this helps the explanation a little.

Mark

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought one on ebay from Cutco. Now I'm now way a novice when it comes to cars and what not. I couldn't figure out how to mount the stupid thing to save my life. So I sent an email to the owner telling him to send me an installation sheet. He said no problem. 4-6 weeks later after many emails to this nut, I never seen any instructions. I left him not negative, but neutral feedback on ebay. He finally emailed me back telling me to get F***ed and that I'd never see any instructions now. Some customer service policy they have there a Cutco Industries. I never ended up installed it.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Hey Vfret - I contacted Cutco after purchasing mine from them and I did get a reply. In a nutshell it said "I just reproduce and sell these things. I have no idea how it installs. I suggest you find someone with te part installed and see how they did it." DUH!
I haven't put mine on yet, I am hoping to get a picture of one with correct placement at a show, but I did ask on the forums where it goes. Here's the thread: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3693

·
Registered
408 Posts
When I got in touch with Cutco about shipping to the UK, said they could but I really got the impression that they couldn't care less. Wasn't very impressed and I also queried how they mount. I was told the same as Rktmn. I am going to try a prop rod from a mini. They are plentiful here and about the right length. They are used on a mini to hold the hood up. Failing that it will be a gas strut from a hatchback from the local breakers.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Thanks Hero - NOW I can follow what's up - it just seems like I largely go through life in the dark, and it's nice to have someone lift the blanket every now and then so I can get my bearings *LOL*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts