Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be putting a '69 XR7 convertible to rest. I read somewhere that the best thing to use for the '67-'68 convertible converstions is the '69 ragtop section between the top and the trunk. Is this true? And if so where should I cut to keep this section viable for someone?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Put the car up for sale n i bet someone will purchase it. Could be the next ECI II project..

thanks
pat

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Always sad to hear of one being put down. :cry:

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
No, only a 67-8 Mustang will work as a donor for a 67-8 Cougar rag conversion.
Don, we used the 69-70 convertible support section for CatVert. It fit better than the Mustang piece, which was actually wider and required more cutting and welding to fit right.

Ragtop69xr7, I will talk to Greg Zuch (who did the conversion on CatVert) and see if I can get the answer to your question. I may PM you his phone number if it looks like you and he should talk directly.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Don, we used the 69-70 convertible support section for CatVert. It fit better than the Mustang piece, which was actually wider and required more cutting and welding to fit right.

Ragtop69xr7, I will talk to Greg Zuch (who did the conversion on CatVert) and see if I can get the answer to your question. I may PM you his phone number if it looks like you and he should talk directly.
Yes but when it comes to doing a conversion, the most critical, valuable hardest to get parts all come from a 68. The rear seat structure is pretty easy to come by, in fact we have never sold one as they are pretty hard to damage or rust.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Ragtop,
show us some pics of the car, n would you be willing to sell it complete?Someone thats looking for a vert may want to buy it.

thanks
pat

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

On my conversion I used the rear seat section from 68 mustang and it fit fine as far as width, but required addition of about 2" of material to the 'wings' to position it correctly front to back. The drip rail section (the part the top tack sticks bolt to) was about an inch too wide. That's where the 69-70 parts might work better.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the rear seat but rather about the top support panel between the rear seat and the trunk. The 69-70 piece fits better because the Mustang is actually wider than the Cougar at that point, so there's more trimming to make that panel fit the Cougar. Everything else came from the Mustang except for the top itself, which was custom made for the roofline we wanted.

·
Registered
992 Posts
"Well I'm not the kind to kiss and tell, but I've been seen with Farrah..." C'Mon everyone, sing along! Back when the show was new, even then I felt bad about that blue drop top...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts