Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, if there where any optional rims for the 69 xr7? My car presently has original caps on it now. I don't want to damage them or lose them. I don't want to get aftermarket rims. I would want to keep the car correct as possible. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
two options where popular back in 69 - the optional styled steel wheel and some dealers fitted the 12 slot wheel from the eliminator/mach 1.

There where also a range of wheels available from other Ford models including Magnums and Cragar wheels

Chrome magnums are also available in 15 x 7 which look good on 69/70 but you need to fit the Cougar wheel caps and there is some work required to clear the wheel bearing cover.

I have painted Magnums on the 69 and chrome Magnums on the 70. I'm probably going to put chrome 12 slots on the 69 as I want more of an eliminator look (and their cheap here in Oz)

Remember - if you go for styled steel wheels you need to have them stud balanced as the centre holes are accurate

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Ford styled wheels

Hmmmmm. Is there really anything wrong with putting aftermarket wheels on your ride? Personally, I don't think so but those purists tend to 'pooh-pooh' anything that isn't 100% correct. I feel that if you stick with something from the time period you are relatively safe.

That said, being both of my cars are 73 XR-7s, I really don't have a lot of options. There was no styled wheel for these cars so I went another route. Since Cougars are really just Mustangs under their skin, you can always just go ahead and use the Mustang styled wheels from that particular year. The reason I say this is that Cougars and Mustangs shared the same assembly line, so anything was possible. In my case, that would have meant that I could find a set of 73 Mustang aluminum slots and put them on. Yeah, right. Those things are as rare as chicken lips and command a big premium if you do find a set.

That's why I went with an aftermarket set of aluminum slots on Alpha Cat. They have the right 'period' look to them. Beta Cat got a set of 14x6 painted Magnum 500s from a Granada. OK, so the center caps are the generic Ford crest (like a Fairlane), so what? I suppose I could try to find some Cougar centers, but those are also impossible to find.

Anyway, I no longer have the 14" aluminum slots for Alpha Cat. They went bye-bye with my old car-hauling trailer that needed meats badly. I had found a 14x7 set of painted Magnums that I may use on Alpha, but that is really gonna limit my tire choices these days, not to mention that those things are heavy!. There aren't too many wide profile 14" tires out there any more. In the pic of Alpha Cat I have somewhere on here, I have a set of G-60-14 bias belted tires on the Aluminum slots. Not exactly the best riding tires out there. I'm leaning towards a set of 15" or 16" aluminum slots if I can find anybody that still makes 'em. That will open up the tire choices immensly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts