Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I crank over my 73 Cougar whether its cold or its just been running there is a dead spot and then it cranks over. Sometimes it is slow to crank over and sounds like it wont. The battery is fully charges, the alternator, voltage regulator are all good.

The mechanic I bring the car too said to replace the battery cables with OEM cables and if that doesnt work then maybe I will need a high torque Starter.

Do you think this is correct? Where would I purchase OEM Battery cables for a 73 Cougar?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
sounds like possibly the starter brushes are worn out and or possible the bendix is going bad.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
First check that you have good connections and good grounds, then I'd say ditto to Harvey. You can try to give the starter a few love taps to see if the brushes just aren't seated good.....

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You could tap the starter with a hammer but that would be something I would suggest if it is not trying to turn over at all. The bendix is the portion of the starter that kicks out to engage the flywheel. The spring on those goes bad and they don't kick out. You would normally hear a whiring noise. Sounds to me like your starter is draging. That is normally due to the brushes being worn out or stuck. How hard is it to pull the starter on your car? You could pull it and take it to be tested. At least around here there are several shops that will rebuild starters. Or you could just get a brush kit and replace the brushes if they are worn down bad.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Rebuilt starters are cheap - I wouldn't spend the $ on high torque if you don't need it. If you have to replace it, just grab a rebuilt. Cheap and easy....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone for your replies - as soon as I get paid on friday I am going to order the OEM battery cables and go from there

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I honestly think you would be better spending your money on having the starter rebuilt or replaced. As long as your current cables are not broken or corroded they should be fine. I don't believe there was a fuseable link in the wire from solenoid/relay to the starter? Someone else will have to speak on that.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I think you need to better define "dead spot". You could be talking about a point at which the starter will not crank the engine at all, or you could be talking about a timing too far advanced where the starter struggles to crank against the timing which is firing the cylinders too early. There are other possibilities for the words "dead spot" too, these are few.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Also make sure the ground strap from the engine to body (usually from back of passenger-side cylinder head to firewall) is good and has a good connection.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts