Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I revived my daughter's '67 Cougar XR7/289-4v that had been sitting for ~ 5 yrs. I've noticed that it has some problems, which I'll list below:

1. Brakes - Takes a lot of pedal pressure to stop, even then it's gradual. I remember that the car had this problem back when my daughter was driving it regularly. Unless replacing the vacuum hose to the power brake booster cures it, I suspect the booster itself. In this case I hope that installing a rebuilt booster would cure it.

2. Flashers / turn signals - Turn signals don't work, but flashers won't turn off. The flasher switch on the steering column has in/out positions. I can't remember which is On, which is Off, but when I push it in, both turn signal indicators on the instrument panel light up, so I think In is On. But when I pull the switch to the Out position, those indicators are off, but the turn signal lights all keep flashing. This was an intermittent problem when I first got the car running a month ago - it would stop after a while. Now it keeps going, but strangely - a dozen flashes, then a pause of ~ 30 sec, then repeats.

3. Tach - I noticed that the tach won't go over ~ 2000 rpm, even when I can tell by engine sound that actual rpm is ~ 4000. The tach needle fluctuates a little, even when revs are low.

4. Engine keeps running with key off & removed! - Today was the first time I encountered this. I turned off the key, engine kept running! I removed the key, engine kept running. I had to pull the coil wire to shut it off - and got a little shock - grrr!

Background: When I first hooked up the new battery, the alarm went off & I couldn't turn it off - had to disconnect the battery. I found the remote for the alarm, put a new battery in it, and tried again - alarm went crazy, remote did nothing. I didn't know how the alarm system was wired (didn't install it myself), so I just cut one of the wires to the siren. Even after that, with new battery connected, the car would not start. I found a little switch on the bottom of the dash near the ignition switch, found that I had to press this switch while turning the ignition key, to crank the engine. Obvously this switch is part of the alarm system (for which I can't find the manual). I don't know whether this has anything to do with the engine's run-on problem and/or the turn signal flasher problem.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Bob

·
Registered
389 Posts
the flashers, i bet, arent he flashers. i bet they are the parking lamps and are the alarm going off. since you cut the siren wire, its silent but they keep flashing. then it resets, and goes off again. get all that alarm stuff out of there. most alarms are pretty common in the way they are installed. I would take it to an alarm install place that is reputable and have them remove it and fix the wiring back to stock.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had that issue with my car continuing to run even with the key turned off and then removed.

I replaced the electronic part of the ignition switch (kept the same cylinder) and also the battery negative ground wire that runs to the engine block. Haven't had a repeat of that since. Not yet anyway.

If your tach is acting weird, I'd recommend bypassing it. The way the tach is implemented is really not very good. The tach is in series with the ignition, so that means if the tach fails (mine did) the car will crank and turn over and start firing when you turn the key, but as soon as you put the key back in the run position the engine will die immediately, no sputtering or anything. That happened to me, and I ended up pushing the car a mile home with the help from one other person, and thought I was going to die. Turned out the solution is SO simple. Remove the cigarette lighter, reach in and find the two wires running to the tach, unplug them from the short wires that enter the tach housing and plug them into each other. Couldn't be easier.

You can get the tach rebuilt in a much more reasonable way, a "3 wire" design they call it. I believe it is Rocketman who does the rebuilds. I'll be doing that next season. I've been driving with my tach bypassed probably 6 months now.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Tell us you didn't give 'em water! ;>)

Are you wanting to keep the alram system? You are probably batteling a few issues, but I would elliminate the alarm system until you straighten things out.....
see if you can google the alarm make/model and get the diagram from somewhere for starters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts