Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the instrument cluster out and am working on removing the passenger side of the dash. The "wood" part of the dash in a 68 XR7. This is an A.C. car. I have all the screws out and the passenger side appears to need to come out with the center piece? It appears that only the A.C. ducting is holding the panel in at this point but can't really tell.
Wonder if anyone has had any experience with these pieces and can advise me? I am replacing the vacuum lines for the heater/A.C. etc along with the Speedo cable and looks like it might be easier if I get the dash out of the way.
Any help appreciated.
Charlie

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Charlie, there are also 5 speed nuts on the back of the dashboard on the passengers side that have to be removed. Here's a link to a pic of the speed nuts: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/376642.html . Also, here's a link to the back side of the pass side dashboard so you have an idea where the speed nuts are: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/68xrcluster.html , scroll down to the last photo. On a side note, there are 4 connectors attached to the back of the toggle switches and 2 connectors to the oil gauge. You might be able to pull the dashboard out once you have the speed nuts off and then disconnect the connectors. Good luck. John

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a few must be missing, most of passenger side wants to come out. It is hung up at the center panel, looks like there are 2 there? Thanks for the link to the pictures! Visual aids are the better than a 1000 words. I will see if I have any of them on the center panel. There wern't any on the instrument cluster, expected to find one through the ash tray opening but is was not there. I huess the last guy in there lost them, or lost the motivation to replace them....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
There is no earthly reason for the amount of restraint they used, to hold those things to the rest of the car! And they are a crappy design, a hollow plastic tube, with those metal speed nuts? Really? That's the best they could do...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
with a std decore dash , one also gets the plastic that breaks off but there are some different fixes---i cut off the broken plastic and drilled a .201 dia hole thru the face---c'sink the hole @ 82 deg for a # 10 allen flat head---i made some alum angled nut for the rear and screwed the whole mess back on after adding some 1/8 closeded cell packing foam between the dash and the frame---no rattles and no drumming
doctordesoto

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like is what I will be having to do as well. All the connectors on the passenger side are broken off. Why those? I don't know, they look like the easier to get off. I have 1(one) that is holding the center panel in place. Would like to save it if possible but am having a hell of a time getting any tool on it to remove it. It apperars to be bigger than 1/2 inch but 9/16 appears to be too big. I have tried metric and just can't seem to make purchase on the nut. Anyone know what size that nut is? Also the one remaining nut is also semi-blocked by the angled ducting coming from the center panel and makes it impossible to get a ratchet wrench on it and still move it enough to even " click". Is this piece of ducting an easily removable piece? Can't tell from what I can see if it is screwed on or actually part of the center A.C. Duct distributor, maybe it can just be pulled off? Opened a can or worms with this one....
Charlie

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YEAH!!! Finally got that one nut off! Turns out they are 5/8 heads on those..... Hope I can get it all back together again.
Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts