Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dash on my 67 is original and still in good condition (touch wood). What are the opinions out there on the best product(s) to use to keep the dash in good shape to prevent cracking and prevent fading?
I have used Armour All in the past. Is this as good as there is or is there better?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
For what it's worth, the guy who did my interior said that Armor All and similar products are not good for the vinyl surfaces.

According to him, those products will protect against UV rays, and will help to keep the vinyl soft, but if you ever want to re-dye the vinyl, the dye will not properly adhere, no matter how you prep it.

He suggested mild soap and water...

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
you could put a dash pad cover over it(like a carpet style) or you could also put one of them there windshield shields that go on the inside, From what i was told it keeps the hot sun out and keeps the interior cool n it will save your interior surfaces from dulling n cracking n fading
thanks
pat

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have been told to stay far away from armor-all. It supposedly will dry out the vinyl and cause it to crack prematurely. I use either lemon pledge or vinylex-not sure of the spelling. It's made by the company that makes lexol for leather.

Steve

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yep, like Steve said...armorall (and other similar products) = bad. These products will harden the vinyl over time. One detailing trick is to use lemon Pledge (or regular). I prefer lemon as it leaves a nice scent.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The nick name in the hobby for armor-all is harm-it-all. I have used it on tires, but like the maguairers products for tires. They have one that brings up the color but does not give a gloss. It also comes in gloss if you like it that way.

Steve

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
"harm-it-all" also breaks down when heated by the sun and will
coat the inside of your windows with a thin greasy film. YEECH!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
catman said:
"harm-it-all" also breaks down when heated by the sun and will
coat the inside of your windows with a thin greasy film. YEECH!
Exactly.... Pledge and one of those carpet thingys is the way to go

plus the windshield shade thingy......
Don

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased a plasticticized dash cover from AutoKrafters for around $150. this is a plastic mold that fits right over the dash to give it maximum protection. You can either glue it on (which I don't recommend) or just put it on without glue. It looks real nice, and, most importantly, it works to protect that dash!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Just be careful with the carpet dash covers. I had one once that had foam backing which reacted with the vinyl surface and created a couple of dry hard spots.

1967xr7, you don't touch wood in a case like this, you knock on wood. You touch wood if you pass gas.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts