Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of looking for MrGoodcar, I have had to regrettably part out several cars. When removing the dashes, most of the vin tags were put on by rivots. However, lately, I have run into 2 cars that the vin tags were screwed on. Neither look like they have been previously removed and both match the numbers on the inner fenders so they are from these cars. These are both m code 69 conv's. I haven't checked so to see if both were built in the same month or close together.
Has anyone else run into this situation? How is your dash tag attached? Anyone?

Jim

·
Registered
885 Posts
'70 XR-7, Dearborn. Rivets.

Steve C.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
70 std htdp - Rivets.

69 Std hdtp - Rivets. both Deaborn cars.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Numeris 68,69 and 70 cougars parted out. All riveted. The 69 convert I have is also riveted. With the numbers on the inner fenders matching it sounds like a no problem thing.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
69 70 that i own now rivets past part cars 69 70 riveted as well as 70 xr7 all riveted. you may have a rebody at one time.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of the cars, an m code I am in the process of restoring was a restoration project gone bad. I have the title back to 1984 and has the original windshield in it. Where the rivots should be, phillip screws are tightly in place and put in such I would have to remove the windshield to loosen them. The fenders had already been removed and the vin # in apparent on the top of each inner rails near the shock towers. I can't see it is possible for this to be a rebody. I thought, just a fluke until we parted out the other conv., same phillip screws apparent original winshield and matching vin's at the same rails. Too wierd!! The phillip screws are covered up by the dash so you would normally not see them. Just wondered if anyone else had run across this before. Anyone else?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I've owned 7 1969 Cougars, the VIN plate had rivets in all cases. I don't recall seeing any with rivets when judging at the East Nats in 2001 either. Maybe they used screws at the factory when having to refill the rivet gun or when replacing Mis-stamped plates?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I've never heard of Ford screwing in the vin plate...always riveted. And I've never seen one screwed in.

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
I have 2 68's 1-screwed 1-riveted.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marty,

Does yours look factory or put in later? Thanks for responding. I thought I had a factory freak or something.

Jim

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have had 2 68s. The first one was junk and it was screwed in. The second was a very low milage car and it was screwed in also. To the best of my knowlege the pad has never been off, but you know what assume means?:p:

·
Contributing Member
246 Posts
The XRcist said:
Marty,

Does yours look factory or put in later? Thanks for responding. I thought I had a factory freak or something.

Jim
Everything looks factory, and I have no reason to believe that anything has been changed.
:)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Vin plates

All of the vin. tags I've had were riveted.

·
Registered
175 Posts
68 Std; Screws. The data plates matched.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Maybe we need to find aout which assembly plants each cat came from maybe some plants used screws, and maybe some used rivets. Just a thought.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally got around to checking the door data plates on the two cars with screwed dash data plates. It seems that both cars were built in November, 1968. The first was built on Nov. 18 and the second on Nov. 22, just 4 days later. Is there anyone out there that has a car produced near this time frame? If so, was your dash data plate rivoted or screwed in? Anyone? These are both Dearborn cars.

Jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts