Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the dash pads for the 70 are not produced and the cost of used ones are pretty high anyone ever tried repairing one? What was the outcome? I do understand that show quality
is probably out of the picture, but would like to see what could be accomplished. Two cracks in the usual spots very edge and at the speaker area. Would love to hear what others have done.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
ANY quality is unlikely due to how the pads are constructed. Still, maybe there are some crafty ones out there, doubt it, but maybe! Good luck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are companies that do dash pad repair. They repad and revinyl. I would check Hemmings for them. They would probably be higher than a used dash though.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I can only guess no one has attempted to repair or has attempted to with mixed results. Has
anyone attempted no matter the results?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
A few years back a client (who has since passed away) did some upholstery repair in a Mustang that I owned at the time, including repair of a 3-4 inch split on the dashpad. I have no idea how he did it or what he used but the repair was nearly invisible after he was done. So, such repairs are possible. Unfortunately, he took his techniques with him to the grave. You might want to check with some local car dealers. Most hire guys like my client to do the detail/repair on their used car inventory. These guys probably won't tell you how they do it, but might be willing to do it for pay.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I saw a guy at a car show with a Datsun Z dash redone with bedliner stuff..yes, you read right, bedliner stuff. He told me all he did is repair the cracked are with a little spray foam and filler, sanded the whole thing, then applied the roll on bedliner stuff. I thought it looked great and was a neat alternative to other methods (i.e. dash carpet)....I think you could google it and come up with a picture.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I saw a guy at a car show with a Datsun Z dash redone with bedliner stuff..yes, you read right, bedliner stuff. He told me all he did is repair the cracked are with a little spray foam, sanded the whole thing, then applied the roll on bedliner stuff. I thought it looked great and was a neat alternative to other methods (i.e. dash carpet)....I think you could google it and come up with a picture.
Wow! Would love to see that! Who cares if it is not "show" a clean repair that last for under $200 would suffice most guys...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I remember back in the day you could buy a vinyl repair kit, it came with different colors and textures and you would fill the hole, gap, tear, rip with a glue and apply the matching material to the damaged area and use a heat gun or iron, with a towel and the patch piece would melt on to the area and blend. I would google vinyl repair kits and see what you find.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Justdashes.com they seem to be pretty well reguarded in the dash restoration circles.....never tried them personally.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hey, what the hell happened to the rep power? I had a 2, I was cool with that.
Your post is off-topic, but here is the answer just the same.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
This guy repaired a 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV dash pad using bumper repair foam, spray-on bed-liner, and vinyl paint: http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master.htm?http://www.rickwrench.com/alfadash.html
The link has a write up of the process with pictures as well as links to two other forums where people have applied the method to other types of dashes. I plan on going this route when my dash dies; however, that should be many years from now (thankfully).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts