Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night when I was coming home from work with Kitty.

Is that just a fuse?

They went on when I turned on the headlights and then they just went out like the bulbs blew out. Drove home with it totally dark inside.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MM

The fuse was blown out. I replaced it. Good thing I didn't have bigger thingys or I wouldn't be able to get under there to get at the fuse box! LOL! The steering wheel does not have tilt.:p:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick

You know what I mean...I didn't want Logan mad at me for saying "[email protected]@bs".:lol2:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dash lights

It's weird that the lights just beam down on the gages and not behind the gage itself. Never really looked at that. Wish I had a better lense cover...it's smokey.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Kitty - You may want to check your taillights for a short. I'm not sure about 72's, but Ford used to wire the taillights and dash lights together. This way if the fuse for the rear lights blew you would know that there was a problem due to the lack of dash lighting.

As for you Rick- as Homer Simpson would say "Mmmmm, [email protected]@bs....." :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife had intermittant dash lights on her 68. She was sure it was a short in the under dash harness. So she takes a weekend and totally removed the harness, did a continuity test and reinstalled the harness. What was the problem? A loose fuse holder! She said later that at least she knows nothing is wrong with the harness!!!!LOL

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Re: Thanks MM

Cougar Kitty said:
The fuse was blown out. I replaced it. Good thing I didn't have bigger thingys or I wouldn't be able to get under there to get at the fuse box! LOL! The steering wheel does not have tilt.:p:

LOL sorry but thats never a good thing!!! By the way I have a hard time fitting under there too but thats another story!! mm

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Homer Simpson said, mmmmmm beeeeeer! or donuts. Could they be called donuts too?

When I got under the dash, I remembered that I go through fuses like crazy on the dash lights and the heater/defrost. I keep all kinds of fuses in the console. I had a new electronic sequencher and turn signal switch installed about 6 month's ago. Someone previously "F"ed up the wiring pretty bad. Works great now. The car doesn't get driven much. I've put on 14,000 on it in 8 years. I figure things blow more when not used much...If you don't use it, you loose it.

xr7g--I need your wife here in North Carolina to check out my electric problem on one of my other cars.:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Signal Lights

Cougar kitty, I am interested in learning more about your signal light episode (or from anyone else that has had to venture down this path). My 67XR7 sat in my folks barn for the last 18 years. This past fall I finally got around to restoring the old cat. The undercarriage area is now completely re-done (brakes, shocks, springs, fuel system, drive train, axle and front end steering). We did a carb job on her and it now runs and drives. However, signal lights don't work at all. When I press the signal lever I get no indicator lights working anywhere. I checked the main fuse box above the accelerator pedal and the white fuse holder that comes out of the steering column. All fuses are OK. I sent away to the guy in Albequerque for the trouble shooting manual and purchased his electronic sequencer and signal replacement system (I have not yet recieved them). Do you think the old sequencer I have is the problem? I am interested in learning from those that know. Thanks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
67xr7 - How's your turn signal flasher relay? Did you order that when you ordered your replacement sequential module? Could be the trouble, especially with sequential turn signals.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try using a volt/amp meter on your wires...mice could have chewed the wiring all up. My sequencher was wired up wrong from the previous owner and they made a big mess! My turn signal inside the steering column was fired, also. Buy new, not worth it to get used parts. The electronic sequencher(cost a little more but, worth it!) should give you no problems and it fits inside the original sequencher pack for that original appearance.:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am going to have to wait until I get the components from Vic in Albuquerque. I ordered the complete electronic replacement system for the stuff that goes in the trunk so I could not tell you individual pieces. He also sells (which I purchased) a 55 page trouble shooting manual that Ford put out for fixing these sequential signals. I hope I can figure it all out.
It certainly is possible that mice got at the wires but I am hoping not. Each year (for the last 18) I dumped about 4 boxes of moth balls in the inside of the vehicle (and trunk) to keep the mice out. From what I was able to see this worked as there are no signs of mice. However, the smell is now the problem. Any solutions to moth ball smell or should I start a new thread? I have lots of topics and questions.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You probably didn't get any mice with all those moth balls! Not sure what you can do about the smell...start you a new thread would get you the most attention from the Forum. Ask away! There is no limit!:dogpile: We all help each other.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I also purchased the gizmo that goes in the steering column as these were the components that were recommended to change out after so long. As of today I still have not recieved the shipment but when I do I will change these and keep my fingers crossed. If it does not work I'll get back on line. Now for the moth balls, I think I'll start a new thread tonight!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts