Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the boards but can't seem to find what I am looking for. My dash lights seem dim. I think they should be brighter. Is my problem the bulbs or the colored lens? I want to pull my cluster and freshen up the spedo, fuel and other indicator tips. What is a good way to do this?
Steven

·
Registered
379 Posts
you can change the bulbs, or pull the color caps (You will loose the nice green light tone) or, what I did, was pull the cluster clean everything up and changed all 7 bulbs ( I think it was 7) and put in led replacement bulbs (green) it was 30% brighter. I also changed out my switch so that I was confident that the spring coil that dims, would be a fresh contact. I really looks nice, and at night the cluster blows up.

PB

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
PB, do you still have the part # for the LED peanut bulbs? I have the same problem, and am about to do the same thing....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I never thought about the dimmer switch. I have turned it down and up and it seems to work. Did you get your leds from WCCC or some other Cougar vendor? When you cleaned everything up did you do the gauge indicator tips? Mine are really faded.
Steven

·
Registered
565 Posts
I got mine LED bulb kit from Mustangproject.com. I intend to run them with the plastic diffusers. I think it will soften the light a bit. I can only vouch for their service which was very good. I have not yet installed them. They have an LED sequential system that I am also considering.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Does your dimmer still work. When I installed LED globes in the 69 they were lit when the dimmer was at full strength and would go out as soon as I tried to dim the lights. the switch worked fine with incandescent bulbs

·
Registered
565 Posts
Leon, I haven't got them in yet. I was wondering if they would require some special rigging to get things to work right. I plan to do a solid state flasher and low voltage regulator. Solid state sequencer for the rear sequential lights. Heck I have even considered the led reverse and parking lights. I have read every thread on this forum about switching to LEDs. I still can't say I know what the recipe is to make everything work like stock with brighter LEDs. I wish there was an example of someone who did a full lighting conversion and made it all work right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts