Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a /69 XR7 Rag top which has had significant work done on it. Virtually all of the electrical has been replaced (it was an awful nightmare) new wiring harness under the dash, in the doors, in the trunk, under the hood, new headlight switch. I'm sure you get the idea, now the question....the dash lights are so dim even when cranked up to high they are barely visible, the park brake warning light doesn't work, low fuel light doesn't work ( no great surprise there) the gas gauge only reads 3/4 full when completely full. When the work was being done the vendor cleaned the cluster replaced the printed circuit and tested all the gauges and they all worked. The fuel sender has been replaced. Should I be looking at replacing the cluster or something else.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You have to be very careful with the PCB on the back of the cluster - they are fairly fragile. Might be your not making good connections back there either they are not making contact - or it's easy to break one of the runs in the PCB itself. IF you/he is handy with an ohmeter - try ohming out all the runs through it to check for continuity - if that looks good, try making sure the contacts are clean and making snug contact.....it can be a battle.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be a ground issue. Not sure about the 69`s but with my 68 the low fuel light and seat belt light are on a relay.. A different relay for each. Check your grounds..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, good point - there is at least one ground pigtail (maybe 2?) under there that I would check first!

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Ground in the 69 cluster is through one or two of the wires in the cluster harness plug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts