Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of their heads, cast iron as I don't care for aluminum, and they are a really nice piece of work. Ports are a tremendous improvement over stock. Just got them on tonight and noticed something that has my temper sky high. High enough that I have already started to make a web site attacking them if I don't get a good solution.

It seems our alternator bolt is 7/16 and power steering bolt is 3/8 while the heads have a 9/16 hole. It took all day just to get them on and hook up the pain in the a** headers. Then this discovery that sent things flying around the garage. I don't see a solution here that allows the accessory bolts to go into the heads. So am I screwed?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
I bought a pair of their heads, cast iron as I don't care for aluminum, and they are a really nice piece of work. Ports are a tremendous improvement over stock. Just got them on tonight and noticed something that has my temper sky high. High enough that I have already started to make a web site attacking them if I don't get a good solution.

It seems our alternator bolt is 7/16 and power steering bolt is 3/8 while the heads have a 9/16 hole. It took all day just to get them on and hook up the pain in the a** headers. Then this discovery that sent things flying around the garage. I don't see a solution here that allows the accessory bolts to go into the heads. So am I screwed?
Alternator does not bolt to the heads -- it bolts to the adaptor that bolts to the head. Do you have the proper adaptor?

On the power steering side -- something is wrong there. You should have a large (7/16) bolt hole (or possibly 1/2) for the power steering.

Can you snap some pictures and post up?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My alternator bolt went directly into the cylinder head through the gold spacer. There is no adapter and it is original. Power steering bolt is 3/8, I measured it, and I have 9/16 and 5/16 which is inboard and the wrong position. All four sides of the heads are the same as the one pictured.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Some heads had a raised boss that spanned the head which teh alt bolted to. I bet you could fashion one easily enough though - a good thick piece of steel and a drill/tap should get same results.....

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
When I pulled the motor out of the Bronco that I used for my 67, it had that spacer/filler piece on the passenger side head. I bet if there is a "u-pull-it" near by, you can get one for dirt cheap...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Turns out they sent me later model 302 heads even though I said 289 just to be safe. Apparently the tech says an insert is made in order to allow the heads to take smaller bolts. They don't make them and he only knows them as "inserts" which means it could take awhile to find them.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
If you're talking about the threaded holes on the ends of the heads, they are that big because they are gun-drilled down the length of the head for the thermactor passage. What you need are called Thermactor plugs.

Something like this:

NAPA carries them for about $4 each You'll need at least two, and then two large bolts for the back of the head, or just get four of those inserts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, thermactor plugs. The tech at Dart didn't know their name and the tech at Summit took some time before he could trace down the part. The local speed shop guy knew right away what they were and he said he has them in several sizes to get from 5/8-11 down to 7/16 and 3/8. The Summit tech said there was only one size so over to the speed shop who seem to be on the ball.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Ahhh, Bet you can't cant say "I gotta buthded thermactor" 10 time really fast!..... ;>)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts