Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headliner is in great shape. Only a small tear (1/2 inch) three inches up from the driver window over the driver's head and that was it. Then the stitching came undone on the left side over the back seat. It was about an inch long and stayed like that for the past year. Then on Saturday morning, I took the car out and took a short stint on I-95. Got on at one exit and got off two exits later. In between I just had to open it up a little. With 400hp and a four speed, you end up over a 100mph pretty quick, and then it happened: At 120mph, I see the headliner drop in my rear view! Damn! Had to let up so it didn't tear any further. About a 1.5 ft opened up. Luckily it didn't tear, just came unstitched from the loop which goes around the top bow. I have a tan headliner, would have hated to try to find that color.
Now the fun begins..I have to drop the entire headliner to redo the stitching! I'm also strarting to wonder if I shouldn't also pull the vinyl top off now and fix the rust under it(which I know is there) while I have the headliner out of the way. This will also mean pulling the backglass out since I will also have to repair a couple of rust holes on each side of the backglass(they don't show, but again,i know they're there!) The joys of having a vinyl top in Florida!!Hmmmnmmnn. Decisions, decisions....
Bert

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Inflatable headliner

Happened to me! I had my car on the Michigan Speedway for the SAAC Convention. Had her wide open about 110-120 and "poof"!

Have since made three cuts at the back of the headliner where it meets the backlite weatherstrip. This seems to release the air that gets trapped in the headliner. When my "need for speed" no longer exists, I tuck the headliner back under the weatherstrip.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I always heard it said that speed cost! Just cost the price of a head liner in your case. As cheap as they are IF (I didnt look yet) you can get the color you need I wouldnt mess with repairing the old one. mm

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can relate to the headliner problem

We were southbound on hwy 680, not too far before Benecia and it was hot as hell out. We don't have A/C in our cat, so of course the windows were down. There wasn't much traffic out and we'd not seen a cop for quite some time so I stomped on it to see how fast it would go.

The headliner wasn't in very good shape to begin with and didn't last but a minute before it shredded, and all the insulation blew apart inside. So there we were, covered in insulation, driving slow and sweating like pigs. Sweat + heat + insulation fibers is no fun.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my first experience with a headliner coming unstitched. It's held before at 125 and even 135mph! I guess it was just getting old...
Bert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts