Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading your forum threads for a couple of weeks and I can tell that this group is very knowledgeable about Cougars and other cool iron.
68cougar mentioned that he has a Dan Gurney Special; so do I. Over the years, many people have asked me what that means (for the car, anyway), and I've given speculative answers; does anyone know what was special about the "Dan Gurney Special" (other then the obligatory homage to Dan)?

Options that my car has that my brother's (standard coupe) doesn't have:
Front disks
"Wood grain" steering wheel and some trim
Spoke hubcaps w/Mercury head center caps
A/C
Dan Gurney Special uber-cool window sticker

Thanks!

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Royce and evilmess:

Thanks for the very informative links! You confirm what I feared; nothin' that special... I wish I still had all four of the "turbine" wheel covers - how hard are they to find? I still have two, maybe three, but they need some resto-love. Right now I'm using the solid spoke-look wheel covers with the Cougar center in-lay (the mag wheels came off for the boat-ride to California -- I just got tired of the tires hitting the fenders.....)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
thanks for the info on the link for the comparison of DGS and XR-7 G .I was surprised that there wasn't more goodies on the DGS but its still nice having something a little different. so i guess i will redo this one completely back to origonal condition since my 69 has 70 XR7 interior and 351C with 4 speed.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only DGS "feature" left on my car is the DGS sticker in the window (which is now almost completely destroyed...) Everything else was gone before I got the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts