Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
I really need to know what the DGS engine dress up kit looked like. I know some one out there MUST have a pic or at least a discription of it.... I know it had chrome valve covers, aircleaner top, dipstick, & radiator cap. but what did the aircleaner top really look like as well as the valve covers? It's the anal purist coming out in me....Pics would be great!!!!

ROYCE???????

Don

·
11,000 Posts
It was the plain, non - lettered '67 289 valve covers with twist in Autolite breather. The same covers were used on all Ford and Mercury 289's in '66 and '67 only.

The air cleaner is the standard '67 unit, only the lid was chromed.

I will be at Knott's this year, hope you and Tiff show up so I can see how it turned out.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
11,000 Posts
They look very much like that, except the ones on Ebay are the cheap thin metal ones with push in breather and the chrome won't last past the first brake fluid spill. The original ones are pretty common in So Cal wrecking yards. Another good place to call is Mustang Country over in Paramount, CA. They have a lot of used parts and Carl Ratcovitch is quite helpful.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Royce... How 'bout on a 68?? The DGS's had the same treatment?

Don

·
11,000 Posts
No,
In 1968 the Dan Gurney Special did not include a chrome dress up kit for the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts