Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see this is the place for stories, and I also see there's no intro subforum. So, here it is. I'm Austin, and I recently inherited my dad's 1968 Couar. He got this car back in 1980 after he graduated high school. It was banged up, but solid. It's a standard model, 289, C4, blue inside and out. I found pictures of him in the ditch with it, and also with a tiger cub sitting on the deck lid (if I ever run across that picture again, I will post it). I doubt he ever showed it, but he did use it during a few salty Minnesota winters. It was his baby for 35 years, and now it's mine.

So, the car is a standard, no-frills cougar. It had an AM only radio which kicked around our garage for years. In its place is a temperature gauge and an oil pressure gauge. The seats are basic and covered in vinyl. The carpeting feels like it belongs in a trailer house (I'm sure it was much nicer back in '68). The musty smell has been one of my favorites since my last ride with Dad in it when I was three years old.

The car came with a 289 V8, but last I heard, it was sitting in some guy's garage. Between '89 and '90, according to the reciepts left to me, Dad swapped in a mildly built 351 Windsor. I don't have the slightest clue what it came from, but I know a little bit about the build. The cam is mild but enough to chop the idle a bit. The block was bored .030" over, which puts it around 357cid. The typical Edelbrock Performer manifold was bolted on and topped with a Holley 1850-3 600cfm with vacuum secondaries. Dad floated the valves once, so he upgraded valve springs.

The C4 was beefed up with a Trans-Dapt shift kit, and it still shifts hard. I like that I can manually shift it. I saw a drip of ATF hanging from the pan this weekend, so it looks like I'll be redoing a seal or two soon.

The body and frame is where things get rough. Dad didn't park it for the winters. He drove it. Dammit, Dad. There's a bit of swiss cheese action going in in the fenders and a touch in the floors, but that's not even the worst of it. I found the driver's side frame rail is completely rotted through under the pedals. If the car wasn't plopped in front of me from Dad, I'd walk away from it. Since Dad did buy it 37 years ago, I'll be fixing it to be structured again.

I've got a pretty big project on my hands. It's starting with a carb rebuild.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nice Joe! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I suppose I should post a picture of it, too.
Looks like a great project! Great color combination.

I agree with starting with the Carb. Having a running / driving project will help keep you interested, at least until you are ready to move on to the serious repairs.

Welcome aboard, good luck, and keep us posted on your project!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Cool story, welcome to the forum! Lots of experience on these cars here, in all area's. Bodywork, electrical, you name it. I've been on for several years now, and the only problems I've had, I've caused! Lots of great folks here!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention it originally had a white vinyl top. Dad wasn't a fan of it, and I'm not either. I had shared the idea of using bedliner on the top as a mock black vinyl top. He liked that, so I'll probably run with it later down the road.

I definitely need to be able to drive through the process so I don't get bored. This car has a lot of power. Last spring when I drove it, I floored it in first gear around 15 or 20mph and the tires sang until second gear. The tires don't have a chance from a standstill.

I'll be getting some new tires for it, also. It currently has Atlas Roadhawks in 195/70R14 and 235/60R14 circa 1988. Today is their 29th birthday, the reciepts say so lol. I'm looking at Cooper Cobra GTs, but I'm open to other suggestions in the same price range. I'm just looking for tires that are safe for the road until I get myself a big-boy job and can afford some BFGs or better.

I'm not sure if it's possible to bench test a carburator for leaks, but I'd like to do that if possible. I'd be pretty PO'ed if I drove an hour and a half back to the shed just to find the carb's still leaking. Tuning it will be a learning experience. I've tuned up our lawnmowers and weedeaters, but I know this will be a little more complicated.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys. I'll definitely be picking some brains this summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, my buddy was recently implementing black vinyl top and even though some other people were quite skeptical, I loved it and so did he so that's what's most important here. Nice story ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts