Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo, i was talking to a buddy and hes trying to talk me into getting some heads for my car. being the strong willed person that i am, well, its working lol. i just want to know if this would be worth it while i keep the stock cam for now. my reasoning behind that is that i want more power, but i really really like how smooth the car is at idle. this is a driver and i dont want it to be lopey or anything. i might step up the cam just a little bit, but i really dont want to do even that. would the head swap on its own be worth the price of admission? id like ot go with aluminum too as well because its gonna save about 60lbs off the front of the car. my car doesnt have a history of overheating anyway so im not worrying about destroying the heads. i mean, hell, almost all new cars run hotter and have aluminum heads nowadays. the link below is for the ones i specifically have an eye on. comments? suggestions? ridicule?

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=129017&prmenbr=361

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
I think you will notice and enjoy the power gains from changing only the heads but you must be sure to check piston to valve clearance. Most aftermarket heads have larger than stock valves that can cause interference with the cast reliefs in the top of your pistons. If they touch and you have cast pistons, BOOM! No more engine and the heads will be trash too. Likely it will be fine but check to be safe.

A set of roller rockers is a fine idea too while you are in there, it will make the valve train noise quieter. Aftermarket heads come with stiffer valve springs that suck horsepower if you try to use stock rail type rockers. They also create heat from the friction at the valve tip, a roller rocker takes away the friction and the heat plus keeps the valvetrain noise down.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car is an H code so it has dished pistons, so just a round about guess you think those heads with the valves ( i think ) and the 1.7 rollers will cause interference? ive thought about the rollers as a stand alone item with the heads as well. i dont want to give up any civility at the moment. its still a driver. i mean.. its not THAT expensive.....

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
you could go with 1:6 ratio to be safe.
Do you like your Holley 670 Street Avenger so far.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool. now anyone have some 351W rollers that they would trade for some 351C ones i have in the garage? they are supposed to be able to fit a BB Chevy too. 1.7 ratio though.. not the 1.73 Crane i believe. as far as the Holley goes, yes i like it now that everything is sorted out with it. it has much better throttle response than te old Holley. well worth teh $303 Ebay dollars after shipping :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts