Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a valve job done to my heads and this is how the resurfacing came out...Im a little skeptical if the head will even seal correctly when installed:uhoh:

head3.jpg head1.jpg head2.jpg

·
Registered
200 Posts
Are you referring to the "uncleaned" indented areas? If so, those do not play any role in the "seal" of the heads. I would have expected them to have cleaned it up a bit better but if those areas are lower than the machined surface it won't make a difference. I would have expected to get back something cleaner though, but I was quoted $350 just for the valve job, I don't know what you paid.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you referring to the "uncleaned" indented areas? If so, those do not play any role in the "seal" of the heads. I would have expected them to have cleaned it up a bit better but if those areas are lower than the machined surface it won't make a difference. I would have expected to get back something cleaner though, but I was quoted $350 just for the valve job, I don't know what you paid.

Paid about 80 bucks per head. But Im referring to the "lines" on the surface. I thought i was supposed to be smooth:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The shop used a belt sander type surfacer, it will seal fine. Yes, there are smoother finishes on a broach or a head grinder but you'll be fine with what you have. As a matter of fact, my Australian 302C heads on my 351C look exactly the same, we purposely used the sander because we wanted to remove as little material as possible since I was fighting the compression being too high with nothing taken off the heads.

BTW, looks like you are working with a 351C as well, do yourself a favor and get new valves if any of them are original Ford valves (looks to me like they are). They're made from two pieces and the heads like to pop off on occasion, which will ruin your engine. Just a thought.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
What Bob said! I have a pair of 70 closed chamber heads that 's been laying around a long time, I was taping on the valve stem, and the head just popped off. NEW VALVES

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shop used a belt sander type surfacer, it will seal fine. Yes, there are smoother finishes on a broach or a head grinder but you'll be fine with what you have. As a matter of fact, my Australian 302C heads on my 351C look exactly the same, we purposely used the sander because we wanted to remove as little material as possible since I was fighting the compression being too high with nothing taken off the heads.

BTW, looks like you are working with a 351C as well, do yourself a favor and get new valves if any of them are original Ford valves (looks to me like they are). They're made from two pieces and the heads like to pop off on occasion, which will ruin your engine. Just a thought.

Regards,

Bob
Thanks Bob , in the future I will replace them with those one piece stainless pieces. I just had these heads reworked so I can make my way back home. My military service is coming to an end so I just need the car to make back with out a problem as I was having issue with my cleveland. I actually killed a few birds with one stone having the valve job done.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, my motor lost a valve bebopping along at 35mph @1500 or so rpm after multiple floggings at the dragstrip.
Lost the block, both heads, and the crank got bent. I was displeased.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts