Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a stock 302. Tightening up rocker arms to zero lash and the nut is stripped and won't tighten. Can the stud be replaced withought taking the head back off. Engine is out of car but just put heads on and torqued. Thanx in advance

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - they make a special extractor tool for them....I saw one at Sears I think.

BUT - I'd just yank the heads and have the machine shop knock that out for <$80 I bet....tools and time will be way over than anyways....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yes, and it's rather easy. I have the extractor tool, but can't seem to locate my installation tool. The extractor is a large diameter steel rod, threaded on the outside for the extractor nut, with a threaded hole to thread onto the stud. It also has a keyed sleeve to push against the stud boss. One can be made, but the last thing you want to do is break the casting or break the stud off into the head.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Hate to pull again. But hey gotta do. One freakin stud out of all. Damn

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
You may get it out, but I'm not sure I fancy your chances of getting one back in.
Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will clear it up if I am, but I was under the impression that pressing the studs in was a job for the machine shop ?

·
Registered
245 Posts
You may get it out, but I'm not sure I fancy your chances of getting one back in.
Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will clear it up if I am, but I was under the impression that pressing the studs in was a job for the machine shop ?
Getting them back in is not bad at all. There is a special tool for that too. It's just a case hardened sleeve about 3/4" o.d. with a 3/8" bore theaded 7/16 fine (I had a momentary lapse in thread pitch memory.) Then there is a hardened cap screw with a jam nut threaded in. Just set the depth, lube the stud with green locktite, and drive it home.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again. Got the nut off. Found out the stud is too long so the rocker arm wont tighten to specs. I know the perfectly right thing to do is pull the head and restud it. But just gotta ask. Can washers be put on the stud and tightened to zero lash?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I don't think I'd do that - question is why to long? Is it starting to pull up? I'd be afraid of something coming appart at a very innopportune moment....compare it to another one if you are unsure of length

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello again. Got the nut off. Found out the stud is too long so the rocker arm wont tighten to specs. I know the perfectly right thing to do is pull the head and restud it. But just gotta ask. Can washers be put on the stud and tightened to zero lash?
The stud is NOT too long. The stud is the same length as the others in the head...it just so happens to be pulling out. The stud can be extracted and a new one installed while the head is still bolted to the engine. You will need the stud removal tool, as well as the installation tool. The stud boss needs to be heavily inspected for cracks. A cracked stud boss will no longer allow for a stud press fit. Then the head will need to come off. If there is no cracks, extract the stud, then install the new one with green Loctite (sleeve retainer)...no subtitution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts